Experienced yakker...weights for yakking baits [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Experienced yakker...weights for yakking baits

shunt
06-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I am gonna try to yak out some larger bait, likely chunk of ray, from the beach for biters. Will be using a TLD-50. I have never done this before, as I normally cast a pulley rig with a heaver. Understanding that it depends on several factors (amount and type of line out, amount of current, size of bait, etc.), how much weight/what sinker type do you experienced yakkers use?

Thanks,

Shunt

basstardo
06-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I think it would depend on if you're using mono or braid, and the size of your bait. I was yakking tuna heads out with two 28oz deep drop weights clipped on. Dunno if that was overkill, but it stayed in place, and I was using 50 lb mono at the time. Braid cuts down on the drag on the line from the water considerably, so you could probably get away with lighter weights.

narfpoit
06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
This thread has some info on the rig I use with a good pic of my weight. For this type it has less to do with the actual weight as the gauge of wire you use.

https://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43436&highlight=shark+leader

beagle
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I have often used a fish finder rig above the last swivel. Take a 3 hole common brick w/ 10 to 15# mono, depending on current and waves, tied through a hole in the brick attached to fishfinder. She can still move off with the bait and when you get hooked up that brick's sharp edge of the hole chaffs right through that mono and you are weight free.
It also comes free when you are reeling inthe bait from way out yonder.
beagle

EDMboarder
06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
All I use now for yak baits are the King rig Anchors

fender346
06-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Last year at OBX I was yakking out clams and bunker heads on both hi/lo as well as fishfinder rigs.
I was using 12 to 15 oz pyramid sinkers and boy was my arm sore by the time I reeled those babys in.
They seemed to have held bottom well for the most part

chris storrs
06-17-2009, 05:41 PM
king rig anchors like erik...or i melt down lead in a coke can to make a weight and put a wire eye on it..works good, and cheap