Who shark's from the beach? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Who shark's from the beach?

beagle
06-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I am a "used" to be offshore fisherman. Past part owner of a comm sword & tuna boat. Capt'd/mated chartered, grouper/snappered,etc.
BUT, I love fishin from the beach and goin for the largest that one can get from the beach. Gamefish are fun, but do not make you break a sweat.
If the weather permits..I yak out my baits...if not, I cast out the more than the usual term of, "8 and bait".
Any folks here in NC that do this?
beagle

Daddydobber
06-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Love to cast baits for sharks best to date is a 6 1/2 Ft Blacktip...... I love the pullage a big shark gives !!!!!!

fishnuttz
06-11-2009, 08:44 AM
If the wind is right I'll kite baits out but I don't have a yak .. No monsters so far but had a nice one on last summer for a minute. I use a avet 30/w 2 speed.. What's ya'lls reel of choice???

beagle
06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
My reel of choice? Sadly, I cannot afford. In my beach shark arsenal are three 6/0's spooled with 5-600yrds of 100# dacron w/ a 100' topshot of 80# mono. Those are my yak bait reels.

For tossing I have a Daiwa X-50-HA that has about 200yrds of 40#mono on the bottom and the rest is 80# braid on top. Sounds backwards but it's how it works for me. Have my reasons.
Got a Penn 950ss spooled pretty much the same.
Have added(untested and somewhat new to the market, got it for a steal) Okuma Solterra SLR-15cs. Adjustable mag casting system. I will keep you posted as to the field trials on that.
Will be down to the beach for 7 days in 2 weeks for the yearly family, kids and fishing vacation.
Most years I fished at evenings through the nite..last year changed up to fishing in the day. Amazing how much beach space you get when you put a couple of fatties on the beach.

Joel
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
what beaches you usually fish???

fishnuttz
06-13-2009, 12:13 PM
any sharks are plentyful on the OBX

beagle
06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Remeber, that the "outer bank's" extends all the way down to Morehead/beaufort.... considered the "SOB", southern outer banks