Ocracoke 07/17 to 07/26? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Ocracoke 07/17 to 07/26?

Amos & Buster
06-05-2009, 07:33 PM
My girlfriend and I will be camping on the island for the week in mid July. We plan to do some surf fishing and possibly an offshore trip as well. We are newbies when it comes to surf fishing but have caught some fish before while camping at Assateague, Va. Any tips, suggestions on both surf / offshore charters would be greatly appreciated. We have 4wd as well. Thanks...Jesse

mtbrider
06-05-2009, 09:27 PM
stop by tradewinds tackle shop when your down there, alan will be more than happy to help. their website is fishtradewinds.com, tell him josh the reel jacket guy told you to stop in

Jackman1950
06-06-2009, 12:13 AM
If your lookin' for an ishore charter check out Steve Gwin of "hang on" charters. Did well by me. Went looking for cobia and had to settle for a 43" drum. Steve's a nice guy and will work his butt off to find you fish. Hang On charters-tell him Jack sent ya.

Richmond Medic
06-06-2009, 12:41 AM
def. hit up tradewinds when you get there. im going down next week and hopefully will have a good report to share when we get back!!;)

Richmond Medic
06-06-2009, 12:43 AM
btw check out their website www.fishtradewinds.com

Amos & Buster
06-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys. I've been following the fishing reports posted on the tradewinds website and plan to hit up their shop for some gear and bait. What brand mono do you reccommend and what pound test. I have plenty of fresh water gear for everything from salmon to muskie, but salt water is new to me. I'm thinking 20lb mono, something like maxima ultra green or something similar. Is 20lb. sufficient for surf fishing OBX in July? Thanks. Jesse

Tacpayne
06-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I would personally reccommend Sufix Tritanium plus in 17lb. That is the general favorite of most on this board as well

Peixaria
06-07-2009, 05:06 PM
If you are going to Ocracoke in the middle of July I'm not sure I would fork out the bills for an offshore trip.Been there done that got the Tee-shirt. By that time your catch will be comprised of Amberjack, super little bailer dolphin ,possibly Sails, perhaps Wahoo[If your lucky] Water will be too warm at that point[possibly 80 or 82 degrees], and with the going rate of an offshore trip, it just doesn't stack up. I hate to speak against the local economy, but take it from somebody who has done it before. Go to the beach, get a tan, enjoy the warm water, catch Pomps,Black Drum, and Spanish at the right time of day. and save your 1100 -1300 dollars, its a waste this late in the season.If you want to catch Ocracoke jumping then book a trip when Yellowfin are moving north on the edge of the continental shelf250- 600 ft. sometime in April every year, when the Gulf Stream begins to establish itself in this area. They are accompanied by larger Blue Marlin and also Mako sharks of the large variety. Sufix Tritanium is the right choice for surf although it is becoming increasingly harder to find