Surf Fishing in Avon [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Surf Fishing in Avon

Chumdaddy
05-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Hello everyone. New to the board and excited that I will be heading down for a week to Avon starting this Saturday (5/30). I can't wait and have been getting my poles ready over the past few days. Just wanted to get an idea of what I can expect from Surf fishing and what type bait/rigs to use. Probably be fishing most everyday all hours of the day. Are there any good holes in Avon? Enjoy going for just about anything and will probably try for the normal gamefish as well as trying for a few sharks at night. Might hit up the peir their too if you guys reccomend it and most likely try the Point for one day as well. Also, will I have any luck cast-netting bait either in the surf or on the sound side anywhere around Avon? Any info will be appreciated and I will update during the week next week with my daily haul and when I get home I will try to get some pictures up of my catch. Thanks for any info!
-Chumdaddy:fishing:

basstardo
05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Stop in Frank and Frans and they point you in the right direction and answer most of your questions.

Wilber
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
First off Welcome to Pier & surf.

Avon is a great place to surf fish, Drum can be out on the bar Blues just Inside or on top of the bar. Trout in the slough. Sea Mullet and Pompanos on the drop. Mullet, shrimp and Blood worms will all work. Good luck and have fun.

PS Don't cast over the fish, fish the drop off with shrimp or Sand Fleas and you will eat well.

fishnuttz
05-28-2009, 01:56 PM
If you plan on hitting the point in buxton take a back pack because it's a hike..:rolleyes:

Chumdaddy
05-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

About fishing the drop-off, what type of rig do you normally use? Do you use light weight and let your bait get tossed around? Haven't had much success in close in the past and normally end up just casting out with heavy weight rather than losing a lot of bait and time in the drop off where waves are crashing.

About the point, I take it you can't drive anywhere nere it again now, was down in the fall and was ok to drive, but assuming they've got it on lockdown do to nesting and such again?

And I will definetely be stopping a Frank and Frans! Great place to not only fill my bait and tackle needs, but also get a fine cigar or two to smoke during my fishing!

Any other reccomendations? Thanks!

Wilber
05-29-2009, 09:08 AM
When fishing the drop I use a 2 hook bottom rig and shrimp.

Chumdaddy
05-29-2009, 09:27 AM
One more day to go before I'm casting! Heading down and staying in Williamsburg, VA today then be down in Avon tommorrow morning. I can't wait!

KCR
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
You can get to ramp 44 but it's a pretty good hike to the point. Minimalist fihsing would be a must so you're not lugging a ton of gear. Rodanthe/Salvo/Waves has some good holes to fish too. Don't forget about the sound side either. I usually stop in at Hatteras Jack's in Rodanthe and get an update on where things are happening. Fishing in close with a 7-9 foot light action rod and using a top/bottom rig will catch sea mullet, spot and croaker is very productive. Shrimp or bloodworms work just fine but be sure to keep the pieces small. I usually throw 2-3 oz of weight depending on the current.

Good luck and tight lines

Chumdaddy
05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Excellent, I'm ready to go then. Bringing three rods, one a small light rod for probably the sound, maybe up close in the surf. A 9 ft medium action for the surf and a 12ft surf rod / with my X-mas present I've been waiting to use a Shimano Baitrunner real w 25lb I just loaded in it (may throw out deep and go for a few sharks at night.) Got plenty of top/bottom rigs ready to go as thats what I normally fish with. Never done the sound down there but think I will try this year. Was debating whether I wanted to try to bring my canoe this year but think I'm going to pass as it is too long of a drive to deal with it.

Thanks for the info!

Chumdaddy
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Pretty good week. Mainly fished the surf and hit the peir a few days! From the surf: caught plenty of sea mullet, croaker, a couple of blues, a few small sharks, and a handful of small pompano. On the peir, about the same other then one day when I caught about 30 blues. All of the smaller variety but kept about 12 that were decent enough size to get some nice fillets of off. Overall had some good weather and good fishing fun....didn't hit any giants myself but still a good week.

Stepped of the peir for a couple of hours one day I was fishing and while I was gone a 48 inch Barracuda was caught....wish I would have been there for that! Also, saw about a 6 1/2 foot sand tiger shark caught on the peir. It was a monster.