Pier and Surf Forum banner

Surf fishing help needed

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RuddeDogg 
#1 ·
Locals i need help.Me and the wife or headed to quintana rv park to stay about a week for our anniv in mid july.I have done some surf fishing in the past but never really caught anything to brag about.A few of the questions i have is will the seaweed be bad that time of year.I have a few older surf rods with spinning reels but cant seem to get them as far out as the regulars that do it.Would a baitcast reel cast farther.What kind of bait would be good.I understand there is a beach there that u can drive on,we will be loading the truck and spending the days on the beach.Is surf fishing better at nite or day.Any help would be appreciated to make this a better fishing trip.Our hearts and prayers go out to those of u that suffered loss during IKE.We also love to crab,can u crab in the surf are is it to hard to do.Thanks Again

#2 ·
Well you came to the right place :D Start by deciding what kind of fish you want, then customize your equipment. Stopping at your local tackle shop is your best bet. Generally conventional reels out throw spinners but its really a matter of practice. I'd go out and practice casting before you go so when you get there you can actually get to the fish. As for rigs, fish finder is pretty standard for surf and catches a good variety but you can always experiment yourself. Here's a good post on drum rigs and other handy info: http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43466. Go check out the bible section of P&S and it'll help a lot. As for bait, cut bait is always popular, as is live shrimp, sand fleas, small crabs (fiddler etc). You can also experiment with lures but that takes a bit more practice. Research your fish and practice and you'll catch some good fish. USE THE SEARCH HERE, you can pretty much find everything you need to know here. Good luck!

#3 ·
Baitcasters

Keep in mind that you can sometimes wade out a ways, then cast...Baitcasters are okay but if they aren't adjusted properly, you'll bird's nest like crazy especially if using a lot of weight. Plus, Murphy always strikes more with baitcasters, 'specially if you haven't used them in a while. I usually cheat and thumb the spool right before my bait/weight hits the water. Pros to using a baitcaster/conventional reel are you'll usu. have greater line capacity. Me, I tend to use spinning reels for the surf, baitcasters on the pier...it's just what I have and they work fine for me.

#4 ·
Just bring your spinning gear, make sure you have plenty of line, braid or 20# to 30# mone. I fish the surf on North Padre Island, using spinning gear when I am soaking bait. My typical set up is: leader with a surf weight and 3/0 to 5/0 hook baited with mullet. I cut the tail off the mullet right around the dorsal fins, hook from the jaw up through the nose. Wade out to the bar past the 1st gut and cast into the second. I have caught Jack Crevelle, Redfish and Trout. Some light tackle and shrimp or shrimp fish bites yield some nice whitting.

You can drive on the beaches except in front of the hotels. I like to fish either north of the packery channel or south of bob hall pier, but have caught fish in between.

I have hooked blue crab in the surf, but have never targeted them.

The weed does get bad. I have noticed lately that around 1 - 2 in the afternoon it starts and my keep up into the evening. So, early fishing has been better. I have fished when the weed is coming in and it is hard head city.

Have fun when you are down here, maybe we can hook up and fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.