fishing report, flounder, blues, drum [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : fishing report, flounder, blues, drum

jeffreyweeks
05-22-2009, 01:19 PM
It looks like itís going to be a wonderful holiday weekend, with maybe just a few showers Sunday night (or not). Be warned, the wind is STILL gonna be pretty healthy, at around 13 today and tomorrow.

The flounder fishing has really picked up (finally), with a better size fish being caught. There are flounder in Tubbs Inlet at Sunset Beach and in the Lockwoods Folly River, as well as some coming up on the piers now up through Oak Island and the Wilmington area. Live finger mullet or mud minnows are the best bet, ocean side and inshore. They are still a little sparse for lures (IMO).

Big chopper bluefish continue to be caught, as well as some Spanish and a few more speckled trout than last week. All three are on the ocean side, and there are trout at the jetties when the wind lays down. Those fish are mainly a morning/evening (or night) deal, whereas the flounder are hitting (as usual) throughout the day.

I have been disappointed in what was the spring spot season (actually the lack of it), but other fish have been hitting so well nobody much is commenting on it. I wonder what it forbodes for fall.

Black drum (and some sheepshead) continue to be caught on the piers and around the bridges. The sea mullet seem to have cooled off a bit, but then they were really on fire. Iíd wager you can still do well on them if you wanted to fish the piers at night. I've also heard about some decent spadefish action just offshore.

There have been some more kings on the piers and off the beach, although the biggest news continues to be the big blues.

If youíre coming down, good luck, and remember, save some for Salty!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MF0exz1eeMU/Sha5lHLZMoI/AAAAAAAAAZs/-Omsvv1-F2U/s1600-h/1ocpflounder.JPG