Question: sharks from surf and pier [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Question: sharks from surf and pier

cavalier fisher
05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
i am interested in getting into some shark fishing when i come down next. does anybody have suggestions on bait/rigs/techniques on how to get them to bite from the surf or piers? thanks for any help

chris storrs
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
fresh bloody baits on the bottom..match bait size to fish ya wana catch..and use wire

Daddydobber
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Here's a good link http://home.earthlink.net/~biters/ the page has some good info on sharkin'

mattiej
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I will be staying at a rental on Oak Island and was wondering if any of the piers allow any type of shark fishing. I really am not going to target Jaws, just want to make sure if I hook a shark, I will not be thrown off the pier.

FishRung
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
You can also try live bait on the bottom, which is my prefered technique. A Whiting (Virginia Mullet, Sea Mullet, King Fish, .... ) hooked through the nose makes a lot of noise and will be found if sharks are around. I use a Drum Rig but with a wire hook length.

Luck,
Brian

joe l.
05-25-2009, 09:34 PM
FishRung,

Do you actually cast the whiting, or do you use one of the rigs that you cast out and then snap the rigged whiting to the line and let him swim out?

(can't remember the name of the rig right now, but I know Breakaway USA makes a clip that lets you do this. It's similar to the anchor rod set up that king fisherman use, but it's only a single rod here)

fishnuttz
05-26-2009, 09:22 AM
FishRung,

Do you actually cast the whiting, or do you use one of the rigs that you cast out and then snap the rigged whiting to the line and let him swim out?

(can't remember the name of the rig right now, but I know Breakaway USA makes a clip that lets you do this. It's similar to the anchor rod set up that king fisherman use, but it's only a single rod here)

The rig your talking about is called a king rig . I don't think he's using that
to target sharks . On the bottom as far out as you can get it . I like to kite the bait out when the wind is going in the right direction. some people balloon and others yak out baits. You can catch smaller sharks like this one on drum rigs casted out.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc157/fishnuttz/100_5439-1.jpg
I