Any places to fish near boston? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Any places to fish near boston?

TheGoodLife
06-02-2008, 11:57 AM
In a couple weeks ill be going up to boston for a few days and was wondering where to fish... I hear you can catch big blues from the surf but where are some of the better fishing spots within about 30 minutes-1 hour drive from boston?

kenyee
06-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Grab a copy of this:
http://www.jackgartside.com/books.php
or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Boston-Saltwater-Backcountry/dp/088150517X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212426130&sr=8-1

Though they cover fly fishing, you can also surfcast them.

There are quite a few spots within an hour, including the infamous Ditch (cape cod canal) and Plum Island. Closest in Boston is Castle Island. Not sure what parts will be best in a few weeks so hopefully others can chime in...

Slammer
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Try the Canal.Some big fish there.

TheGoodLife
06-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I heard big blues run off the surf in that area. Are they running already? If the blues arent running yet, what should I prepare for?

kenyee
06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Bluefish are mostly on the southern cape coast currently, but they're headed up. In a few weeks, they should be plentiful. There are probably a few more weeks of striper fishing w/o worrying about blues near Boston...
The Canal has been great the past week but the activity has been dropping.

TheGoodLife
06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok so im in the cambridge area, basically along the charles river. can anyone give me directions to a beach where the fishing is good? im up here from maryland so i dont know the area at all. what is being caught off the beaches right now?

kenyee
06-13-2008, 03:12 PM
If you want blues, hit "South Cape Beach" in Falmouth (1.5hr drive). There are supposedly plenty there at dusk/dawn.
Striper activity has trailed off in the Canal.
Not sure about activity on other beaches closer to Boston...