Water Temps at Cape Fear [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Water Temps at Cape Fear

Fireline20
03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Just took a look at the water temps maps from the National Oceanographic guys and there is a surge of warmer water (65-68 degree) :)coming up from the South that ranges from just below Georgetown, SC to just above Carolina Beach, NC. Above that toward OBX it is in the upper 50's to lower 60's

Funny thing is the stretch below Georgetown, past Charleston and Hilton Head to below Tybee that is actually cooler than the ranges around Cape Fear and more like what they are around the outer banks.

Could be good sign for Myrtle Beach and Cape Fear fishing in the coming week.:fishing:

Hurricane44
03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
A good website to view the air/water temps right on the coast is the NOAA- National Data Buoy Center's observations at Johnny Mercer's Pier (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=jmpn7). The water temps at JMP haven't dropped below 60 F in a week.

Fireline20
03-22-2008, 06:06 PM
A good website to view the air/water temps right on the coast is the NOAA- National Data Buoy Center's observations at Johnny Mercer's Pier (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=jmpn7). The water temps at JMP haven't dropped below 60 F in a week.
Hurricane;

Looks like we are both in the same Neighborhood, Columbia, SC.

Actually I am in Irmo. I fish the Fort a lot. Maybe we need to get up together and fish sometimes. That $3+ per gallon gas for my 2004 Explorer is killing my wallet.

Ryan Y
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
I was gonna head ou there today but I was working on a Surf Rod. The wind has picked up considerably as well. Probably has the water all mucked up. South of the river the water is warming much faster.

Their is one hell of a sea mullet bite going on in the river too. ANywhere from just north of the Fort FIsher Ferry South from what I understand.

If you fish the rock wall at Battery Buchannon you may be able to pick up a few. MOst of the fish are gotten tight now by Boats.

Fireline20
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Sounds like a good time to fish on Cape Fear River side of the Ft

Finger_Mullet
03-23-2008, 12:29 PM
There was one hell of a sea mullet bite at the end of KB pier on Saturday. :D

Not huge but they will make perfect drum bait in 2 weeks.

Darin

Fireline20
03-23-2008, 01:15 PM
My plan this year is to fish both the Fort an the North End and buy year passes for each.

My plan next week is to fish one on Wednesday, the other on Thursday and then fish the most productive of the two on Friday.

So I have a question about the North End. If the winds are up, would they be lower on the North End if I fished in the Cut and not in the surf?

Ryan Y
03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Im off on Thursday. Ill be fishing the south end if your around, yell out.

I fish the south end in the spring (now). As the water warms more, Ill fish the North Ends more up and until the later part of fall. I like the North End on a north, north east wind. in the summer and fall. It pushes those fish on the south point of Masaonboro on over to the North end shoals.

Fireline20
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Im off on Thursday. Ill be fishing the south end if your around, yell out.

I fish the south end in the spring (now). As the water warms more, Ill fish the North Ends more up and until the later part of fall. I like the North End on a north, north east wind. in the summer and fall. It pushes those fish on the south point of Masaonboro on over to the North end shoals.
Will do,,,Thursday looks to be shaping up nice with temps in the low 70's and about a 10 mph wind from the SSW.:fishing:

I will be in a 2004 Blue Ford Explorer with SC tags fishing with my wife and I will probably be down around crossover #3..
Would love to meet you in person