End of March [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : End of March

Caseman
03-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey guys. I am bringing my family down on the 23rd for a week of fishing and sight-seeing. Never been to the OBX. Staying near Avalon Pier. I do not have any Surf Equipment, but have some catfish equipment that should handle 30 lb. test pretty well. Is that still to light for the Surf? If so, I need to know where I can rent or buy cheap some equipment. I have the 4x4 for access, but need to know where and what to expect. Basically if anyone wants to tell me anything truthful, I will listen. I caught Red Drum in Florida in the St. Marks River, and that was pretty sweet. I have pier fished at Long Beach a few times, and plan on trying that as well if there is anything biting. Any info you experts can give up, I would appreciate it. Will travel down to Hatteras area if need be. Thanks. Love reading your posts too.

Drumdum
03-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey guys. I am bringing my family down on the 23rd for a week of fishing and sight-seeing. Never been to the OBX. Staying near Avalon Pier. I do not have any Surf Equipment, but have some catfish equipment that should handle 30 lb. test pretty well. Is that still to light for the Surf? If so, I need to know where I can rent or buy cheap some equipment. I have the 4x4 for access, but need to know where and what to expect. Basically if anyone wants to tell me anything truthful, I will listen. I caught Red Drum in Florida in the St. Marks River, and that was pretty sweet. I have pier fished at Long Beach a few times, and plan on trying that as well if there is anything biting. Any info you experts can give up, I would appreciate it. Will travel down to Hatteras area if need be. Thanks. Love reading your posts too.

Not sure what kind of rods and reels you have for cats,but they should do.. If not,Walmart is right there as you get across Wright Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk..
There may be some speckle trout or bluefish near Avolon at that time of year.. My suggestion would be to go to Hatteras.. Many times the seamullet and blowtoads bite good at that time,both good eating fish.. Could be a drum around Point area,or Hatteras Inlet.. Both of these areas will be open at the end of March,but at the first of April it could be questionable as to access..

Caseman
03-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I have been reading with great dismay the plight of you guys with beach access. The liberals will do anything to protect wildlife. Do they not think that we love wildlife more than they could ever imagine? That is why it is important to elect people that appoint judges that interpret the law, not their personal agenda. That is why it is so important to elect men like Fred Smith and Robert Pettinger this year.

Thanks for the tips. 7 foot Medium heavy with a good Daiwa Spinning reel is the catfish rod. The other stuff is bass oriented as I am an avid freshwater fan. Will that suffice for pier fishing or not? Standard 6 foot rods wwith baitcasters or medium spinning. I know some sharks can really tear it up, and a bi drum would probably break the line right?

Drumdum
03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
I have been reading with great dismay the plight of you guys with beach access. The liberals will do anything to protect wildlife. Do they not think that we love wildlife more than they could ever imagine? That is why it is important to elect people that appoint judges that interpret the law, not their personal agenda. That is why it is so important to elect men like Fred Smith and Robert Pettinger this year.

Thanks for the tips. 7 foot Medium heavy with a good Daiwa Spinning reel is the catfish rod. The other stuff is bass oriented as I am an avid freshwater fan. Will that suffice for pier fishing or not? Standard 6 foot rods wwith baitcasters or medium spinning. I know some sharks can really tear it up, and a bi drum would probably break the line right?

No problem on the pier for catching avg sized eating fish mullets,blowtoads,trout,pups,ect..
A rod that size can handle a drum or most anyother big critter within reason.. The amount of line that reel holds,and a smmooooth drag on the reel, can,at times,determine what you can catch.. A 7'er isn't much for casting distance,as far as catching a fish though,should be fine..