Ocracoke and Cape Point Report [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Ocracoke and Cape Point Report

JeepMike
03-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey guys! It's been awhile since any reports, I moved to an apartment and has taken awhile to get the internet up and running, anyways, went fishing twice last week. Here goes

Tuesday, March 4th - Ocracoke Inlet.
Winds blowing hard out of the S. Fishing with 8nbait. Bait was mullet still flopping when we cut it! Waded way out there and soaked baits for 8 hours, not even a bite all day in several different spots!
I did, however, catch my first gamefish!! It was a little itty bitty bluefish, and he was so small, I didn't know he was even on the line! The 8 oz pyramid weighed more than he did! Anyways, it was a lot of fun. Went down there with some buddies and drank some beer and fell down when I was wading out in the ocean, lol, it's definately still cold water!

Yesterday, after working/errands all day long, I caught some mullet and hit the point! The winds blowing out of the NNE I'm guessing, and the current was so strong on north beach it was moving 8 oz's like it was a feather. Some guys on the beach said they were getting puppies in numbers, (I didn't see any though :p) I went to the south hook and proeeded with stretching my lines on dogsharks untill the sun went down! It was nice watching the sunset with a rod bowed in front of it, even if it was just the sharks, I loved it! Well, thats the report, and I still haven't considered myself to have landed my first game fish. All though, technically I did, I think you have to know you caught the fish before it can count!

I'll have internet up and running sometime next week permanently and will be able to report more then! Thanks for all your help guys!:fishing:

Tmg
03-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Next time, use the blue for bait. I've caught a lot of drum on a fresh blue head or chunk.

Keep at it JP, it could happen any time now.

poppop1
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the post, it gives us landlocked cold weather people smiles to hear someone is enjoying the surf as we (I) would like to be. Living down there will obviously give you many opportunties to fish and after a short time you will be saying to yourself, ah just another bluefish as you will remember their headshaking ways when reeling them in. Keep us posted, the old farmer in Pa..

PEEWEE
03-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Whats up mike ? Hopefully the dogs will move north here shortly and some bulls come in to our territory ..Give it a week or two and maybe you will feel the pull of your life..I'll be down again this weekend to (see a man about a dog),and will soak a few chunks myself.. Hope to see ya..PEEWEE..

tunadog
03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
hey mike,
I was wondering how your last trip went. Good to hear from ya. Those bluies do make good bait.
I got a job. A real grinder, selling ad space on pharmacy bags for a company in wilmington. The commute sucks, working sucks in general, But there is some money for until I find something better. I haven't hit the beach this week, but plan on fishing all weekend if the weather cooperates. I was checking on terrafin.com and see some warm water headed for both of us. Anyway, next time you catch a doggie, eat it and let me know if it is any good. I'll let all you guys know how oak island is doing sat night. Till then dream of big fish.

fishinmama
03-07-2008, 07:21 PM
jeepmike -- your reports of catching nothing or nothing worthwhile are still so enthusiastic - i can't wait til you really catch something -- now that'll be some report, i bet!:):fishing:

Drumdum
03-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Next time, use the blue for bait. I've caught a lot of drum on a fresh blue head or chunk.

Keep at it JP, it could happen any time now.

Ya took the words right outta my mouth... ;)

As usual,nice report,Mike...

surfchunker
03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
you're about ready to bust 'em up ...

Great report as usual

Fishbreath
03-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Mike, keep up the fishing and the reports! You're about due any time now...we're getting closer!

POMPINOLOVER
03-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Good job on your 1st "official fish" Like I said before,, it only gets better as the months rolls on