OBX alternatives? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : OBX alternatives?

tn223
03-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I have been reading the reg. neg. posts about the Outer Banks with much sorrow. Every spring I have made the trip to fish the point for a week and see that it may not happen this year. We usually stay in Buxton and have already made reservations (but may cancel soon). If they close the beaches, is there anywhere else you can drive on the beach and fish nearby? I'm only familliar with the areas that they are talking about closing around the Buxton area.

for access
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I have been reading the reg. neg. posts about the Outer Banks with much sorrow. Every spring I have made the trip to fish the point for a week and see that it may not happen this year. We usually stay in Buxton and have already made reservations (but may cancel soon). If they close the beaches, is there anywhere else you can drive on the beach and fish nearby? I'm only familliar with the areas that they are talking about closing around the Buxton area.

If you get here before prenesting closures are set up, you can fish ramp 55 down to where the pole road lets out, ramp 49 to the edge of Frisco Village and North to ramp 45 (the interdunal road that runs paralell to the Buxton Campground, ramp 43 to ramp 44, and each of the ramps north of avon (Avon Pier to ramp 38 seems to have remainded closed and ramp 38 is open south for about a mile or two depending upon beach width).

Subsequent to prenesting closures, if they use the 10 year criteria for colonial waterbirds and Oyster Catchers, you may be limited to 1/2 mile to a 1 mile at any one of the 8 ramps on HI and at ramp 72 in Ocracoke. Furthermore, you will have to share that with pedestrians and families engaged in swimming, surfing, etc.

tn223
03-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info, due to work I won't be up until mid May. We'll probably make the trip regardless of the closure decision and make the best of it but, if they close the beaches I'll fish somewhere else in the future. It would be a real heartbreaker though.

alewis14151
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Wha? Where can I get more info on closures? Father in law and I are set for mid-April in Frisco.

I'll drive 14 hours for just the fried oyster sandwiches, but heck, I'd like to do some fishin too.

Albert

for access
03-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Go to www.obpa.org or just search this or any other board with the words injunction.

alewis14151
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Go to www.obpa.org or just search this or any other board with the words injunction.

Oh. I thought even walkon fishing was being cut. Thanks.