New Concern about Judge Boyle [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : New Concern about Judge Boyle

for access
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
After reading an article posted in another thread (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/11/AR2005051102029_3.html), I am even more concerned that this judge is simply trying to change the public perception--that is, using cases to further personal goals and financial gain.

In the interim, Boyle has made some rulings that defied his categorization as a hard-line conservative. He pleased environmental organizations this year by halting construction of a Navy jet practice runway near a bird refuge that is the winter home of thousands of Canadian snow geese and tundra swans. Boyle said the Navy had done a flawed study of the project's environmental impact.

"I've been impressed with Judge Boyle's willingness to understand the underlying law in often-complex cases," said Derb Carter, a senior attorney at the Southern Environmental Law Center, which represented conservation groups opposed to the project.

Boyle, still interested in the job after nearly 15 years, and despite what observers said seemed to be a bad cold that day, replied: "I hope that I'm clearly in the mainstream and have done my best to apply the law and hear cases on an individual basis, have no agenda or predisposition about cases."

If Boyle is confirmed, he would have a strong incentive to serve full time for only a few years.

He is eligible to retire and continue to receive his full salary (currently $171,800 for a circuit judge) for life when he turns 65 in 2010. Or he could become a senior judge that year, earning a full salary while handling a quarter of an active judge's caseload.

In either scenario, the president would have to name a replacement, with the advice and consent of the Senate.

Fireline20
03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I feared that after I read the court transcript but was hoping his conservative ties would help our side,,,that does not seem to be the case and I fear the worse now as Boyle and Derb Carter (the environmental Lawyer) seem to be chummie.

roadkillal
03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
There was a lot of Sportsmen and Sportsmen groups that supported the NO OLF Position. I hope those that benefited from that support now support the Sportsmen that are trying to keep the access open.

basstardo
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
It's hard to believe that one person has that much power over so many people. Especially when the only person he has to answer to is the President. As far as him saying he has no agenda or predispostion, well, I'll bite my tongue, but I'm sure most of you are probably thinking the same thing I am.:rolleyes:

Woodchuck
03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Going by what I read in the transcript on RDT, he does seem to be biased and has a predisposition about this case. Read the transcripts yourself and see if he doesn’t grill Mr. Liebesman a bit much and be very agreeable to Mr. Carter. His comments do not make me feel he will be an impartial judge and base a decision on the facts.

Fireline20
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
That was my take also

NCsurffisher
03-04-2008, 12:50 AM
It's hard to believe that one person has that much power over so many people. Especially when the only person he has to answer to is the President. As far as him saying he has no agenda or predispostion, well, I'll bite my tongue, but I'm sure most of you are probably thinking the same thing I am.:rolleyes:

He doesn't have to answer to the president. The legislative, executive and judicial branches are supposed to be independent in the United States. In some respect he (actually, decisions from the 4th circuit court of appeals in which he serves) does have to answer to higher courts; namely the Supreme Court.

Flipper
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
He is a federal district court judge. His rulings are subject to scrutiny by the 4th circuit court of appeals and the US Supreme Court.

roadkillal
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
With that kind of retirement he should just retire and go hunting and fishing.

NCsurffisher
03-04-2008, 09:45 PM
He is a federal district court judge. His rulings are subject to scrutiny by the 4th circuit court of appeals and the US Supreme Court.

I'm sorry...Bush nominated him to the fourth circuit court of appeals, but it is/was held up. Thanks for the clarification. Makes more sense since this is a new case, not an appeal.