Fish report Hatters Inlet and Cape Point [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Fish report Hatters Inlet and Cape Point

JeepMike
02-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey guys! I had the day off today, and woke up to pouring rain. I held out as long as I could, ran some errands, went to RDT and complained about the injuction, spent more money, etc.. Around noon I got to Hatteras inlet and was all by myself.

Tide was going out, I arrived 2 hours before low tide. Misty/Rainy with winds blowing out of the S around 8-12kts. Skys cleared for an hour, then clouded up with wind out of the S kicking around 15-25kts. Water temps still in the mid 50's (I'm guessing) 2 surf setups, one with nasty metal armed bottom rig, other with homemade fishfinder. 5 oz pyramids on both. I used the freshest mullet I have seen yet, true finger mullet! Also threw a gold 1oz hopkins for an hour, no luck. Bought me some Gulp! Penny shrimp for 20 bucks, on 1/2 oz red jighead, no luck. I caught 5 sharks and a skate (and didn't let the skate bite me this time!) I even had doubles with the sharks once! Around 4 p.m. I left the inlet, and had to get real skinny to do so, I was nervous!!

Went to "da point" to use up my mullet, heard puppy drums were caught earlier in the day. I caught nothing and saw nothing get caught. I also threw the hopkins gold allllll over the place, and nothing. :(:(

The metal armed bottom rig outfished my home made fishfinder 4 to 1 (albeight all sharks, maybe I should re do my fishfinder lol :p )

I gotta work all weekend and don't know if I'll get to hit the water again before early next week. Anyone have any tips on how to put a freakin gamefish on the beach? I spent 7 hours out there today, and loved every second of it but I really want to eat something!! Is anyone headed this way soon and wanna hit the sand?

When I catch my first gamefish, I'm having myself a little party! :beer::beer::beer:

lil red jeep
02-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I caught 5 sharks and a skate (and didn't let the skate bite me this time!) I even had doubles with the sharks once! Around 4 p.m. I left the inlet, and had to get real skinny to do so, I was nervous!!

At least you had something aquatic pulling on the other end of your line! All the pullage I'm getting lately is my lead skidding across the grass when I reel it in. Looks like you're doing better than I am. Congrats! If I can get down there anytime soon I'll p.m. you before hand.

EverSoDull
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the report Mike. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Thats what fishing is all about. Actually catching a fish is just a bonus.

Take Care,

Hudak
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
For someone just getting into this, you are leaving very detailed reports....Good Job!! Keep up the good work...

Putting time in the sand like that, it won't be long before you start telling us about all the huge bull reds you drug in. I am jealous.

Robert

JeepMike
02-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I have waited to get down here my entire life, some doors opened and I was very fortunate to jump on for the ride! I don't think I'll ever lose sight of how lucky I am to be here. King, I hope the reports help, I like giving them as much as you guys like reading them! I hope I have something good to report real soon!!

Quick question, I'm new to throwing spoons. Is there any technique you guys use in the surf? Chuck them out and casually bring them in, or put action in them, or irregular retrive?

Puppy Mullet
02-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Mike if ya wanna eat ya gotta go back to what ya know. You ever bass fish with a rubber worm? Got a stiff bass rod?
Go to the shop and get the strike king, spot, pompano, whitting rig? has silver kayle style hooks with red beads. And a few 1/2 to 1oz disk sinkers.
Small baits, small hooks put food on the table.
When people come to the ocean they think big bait big fish big stuff out there.

Hold the rod and wind very slow. think like you are bass fishing, but with a little bait rig. Let it travel around.
Peeps that hold their rods rather than spike them catch a LOT more fish.
Try south beach, in the hook of the point. Once you eat a blow toad you will be ruined.
The spoons usually come out when the fish get thick.
2ct.

Philly Jack
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Puppy has ya on the right path. Kings (whiting) will be around soon. Should see some puffers 1st and then all heck should break out.

Be soon, mon. Eat good soon mon.

Philly Jack

Sea2aeS
02-23-2008, 01:30 AM

the truth be spoken!!!!!!!!:beer:

JeepMike
02-23-2008, 08:05 AM
I've been heeaaalleed!!! (In my best televangelist impression) Haha, well I definately know how to bass fish! I am going to give all of that a shot! I have never liked fishing with mullet anyway, any time before I would just always catch shark and ray with it, while catching fish 10 to 1 with shrimp! The lowly shrimp! I have a feeling warmer water temps will be on the way, and spikes with shrimp and live bait will be key. I am looking forward to using some med action stuff I have to toss to the smaller fish and then I'll eat those suckers!!

Does anyone else not like to use mullet?

Fireline20
02-23-2008, 08:09 AM

the truth be spoken!!!!!!!!:beer:
Spike two, hold one that is my way and your right I catch more on the held rods that the spiked ones but the more hooks in the water the better.

JeepMike
02-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Quick follow up. I have caught a blowtoad before, you can eat those guys? Also, a puffer fish, are they poisonous?

Jesse Lockowitz
02-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Quick follow up. I have caught a blowtoad before, you can eat those guys? Also, a puffer fish, are they poisonous?

blowfish are some of the best tasting fish ive ever eaten.

these are the ones with the smoother skin, if u catch one with a crapload of big spines all over it...let it go.

to clean em, get urself a really sharp knife, and some gloves. cut around the head, like a catfish, hold the head with one hand, yank off the skin with the other, after u got the skin off, cut the big chunk of white tail meat off and enjoy!

Jesse

fishinmama
02-23-2008, 10:35 AM
tool for cleaning toads -- http://www.drumwagon.com -- click on cleaning mr. toad to watch the video-- actually you could probably make your own tool by bending the prongs on a fork.
like jesse says, think you want the northern puffers not the ones with the spines.

surfchunker
02-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I like to eat the mullet ...... well the seea mullet .... save the heads and use the heads for bait .........

Fishbreath
02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey Mike,

Keep putting in the time and you'll get on the fish. You have the advantage of being there all the time. You're just a bit early in the season, that's all. In another month or so, you'll be singing! ;)

squalus
02-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah! Keep those reports coming...

Will be there in early April and will give you a shout so we can get together on the beach.

Dickie
02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Using gloves, hold the body of fish, cut the head off from the top down to the bottom layer of skin. Break the head off and peel it back with the skin, just like a banana. All the way to the tail fins. Everything not wanted comes right off and all you are left with is the MEAT. One Peeled Blowtoad !!