Best Time / Location for sharks [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Best Time / Location for sharks

YakAttack
02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
My son and I have been to the OBX in various locations over the last few years fishing. He likes catching sharks, and thats what we usually try to do. We release almost everything (keep an occasional sharpnose but not often).

This year I'd like to be a little more educated to increase our chances of catching sharks, hopefully in the 30 - 75 lb range. So what I'm wondering is whats the best location and time of the year for this kind of fishing.

Hey Kenny (Drumdum), we have a 4WD now, I remember you telling me when we stayed at your place that a 4WD would open our options up in on Hatteras Island.

We'd be willing to go anywhere in VA, NC, and SC (preferably northern SC).

Any input?

Thanks.

- Luther

Hannibal
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I am sure some of the experts will have some more solid advice but .........

I know your chances are strong fishing the Point (just south of Hatterass Light House) in any of the warmer months.

Best time of day is usually the couple hours around dusk and dawn.

Best scenerio (not required) is to yak your bait out over the third sand bar.

fishinmama
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
ditto to hannibal's recommendation of the point.

you are aware of the regs for keepin' 'em, right? -- gotta be 54" FL, except for dogfish (this is in NC-don't know the SC regs)

Rockfish1
02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
yer missing out right now, hurry up get down there... :D may be a few of the big biters left around, but we always catch a bunch around New Years... :cool:

obxsharker2
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
ill be down there in july..i useaully runn two baits out..i runn out a penn senator 12/0 with a stingray...and a penn senator 6/0 with braided line..i useually pin rigg from the outerbanks pier during the day and depending on the conditions ill either stay on the planks and yak out a bait on the 6/0...last year me and a friend of mine named CW fished there and ended up pulling in a 6'4" tigershark..if you wanna meet up ill be more than happy to show you a couple of things and let you reel in a big biter on the 12/0..might go sharkin with jesse and let him use my tiagra..hes dieing to use my tiagra 80w with 2500yrds of 80lb braid..but i have plenty of gear to let you use ..if you want to no anything else than just reply and i will help you out...tight lines and screaming drags!!!

DALTON

obxsharker2
02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey one more thing...what gear are you useing..i can tell you what to do but i need to no what you are working with...tight lines!!

DALTON

Webmaster
02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
First week of December, 2006.
My Brother and I at The Point.
Big bitters were everywhere, all day, all week.
I got an 86lb Black Tip and had two hook-up that spooled me, totally uncontrollable; casting out about 425’.
My brother casting at about 300’ hooked-up and beached a 201lb Sand Tiger.
I saw a 10’+ Hammer Head in The Point wash not 6’ from me.
Roy

YakAttack
02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey Dalton -

So far we've caught most of them on a Shimano 6500 baitrunner - the biggest a sand tiger about 6' long. This year I'll probably get a conventional Penn - not sure which one yet.

We'll be bringing down a yak so getting baits out is not a problem. I'll try to hook up with you down there if we can get down there at the same time.

Read your posts about getting some more guys together. Starting to sound like a mini SharkFest brewing. Any more interest out there in getting together in July?

Cheers.

- Luther

obxflea
02-11-2008, 08:50 AM
webmaster...... How the hell did you weigh that sandtiger out on the beach???

EDMboarder
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
All you need to catch sharks in the 30 to 75 lb class, is a regular drum heaver, and a lil bit of wire leader with an optional 100lb shock leader.

For bait really fresh (still flopin around when you cut em up is the best) bluefish or spanish chunks work well, also chunks of stingray or skate.

Best location is where bluefish and spanish were cuaght durring the day, but your bait out in this area it has a naturual chum slick.

That is probably the most basic way to catch smaller sharks, and can be extremely fun.

You can always use larger rigs and heavier leaders if you are looking for a larger class shark.

Drumdum
02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Luthor locations vary,but imho Oct-Nov are the best times to catch a biggun.. Last yr caught bigguns from 10 to 150 and wasn't trying to catch no dern shark!!:rolleyes::p
My advice would be to set your rig up for drumfishing,and no doubt you'll get one.. :D

With that yak and 4wh drive,both n&s side of the point:May-June or Oct-Nov.. Yes,the last two yrs there have been some nice duskys,a few hammers,and some threshers,but this is NOT the norm...

Good Question,they are a protected species,probably not a good idea to wieght one before releasing..:rolleyes:

Jesse Lockowitz
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
perhaps a length x girth method was used

Jesse

welshman
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I can remember Bob Eakes pulling out a couple bull sharks 650 and 750 lbs or thereabouts one evening back in the late '70's. Just about overloaded the jeep he was driving at the time.

Got them at the point, or nearby.

Drumdum
02-12-2008, 05:25 AM
perhaps a length x girth method was used

Jesse

Probably so,Jesse,cause any tackle shop would have told him about the illegal fish and raised so much h*ll he wouldn't have been able to wieght it there anyway..

Webmaster
02-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Yes, I used one of the standard length and girth weight calculation formulas; I know that they are only a good guess.
Both fish were released and swam away for another day.
Roy

Webmaster
02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
All gone...