Missing my blues blues... [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Missing my blues blues...

Conrad
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
If anyone starts hanging into the big blues from the surf around Ocracoke, let me know...I'm itching to get back into those babies from the surf, and I know it's not long now..but man I'm ready for that fight!!!

PSUPOWER
01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
I am ready as well actually, love catching big chopper blues!

Check out this blue video on youtube! pretty cool footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZwhnywuo

squalus
01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
When do the choppers show up down your way?

How long do they hang around?

I missed 'em in Delaware this year - they weren't around long.

I'm headed down to Buxton April 12th - probably will be too late for these guys, right? :(

Conrad
01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
I hit them in early May last year, but I think I caught the tail end of them, action seemed pretty steady on them for a while before I got a chance to get out there. I itching for that first one though..man they're fun!

squalus
01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
So you think there may some bigguns when I come down in April?

Drumboy
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
I haven't heard of them catching big blues off the surf for a couple of yrs now. I do know that if you go to tws tackle in nags head that have reports of them catching them right off oregon inlet from the boats

Fireline20
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
If anyone starts hanging into the big blues from the surf around Ocracoke, let me know...I'm itching to get back into those babies from the surf, and I know it's not long now..but man I'm ready for that fight!!!
Well this oughta give you a thrill.

I saw something like this on Lake Murray in SC fishing for land locked stripper when they herd a school of blue back herring to the surface and then just disappear under the boat..All you can is "Oh my God"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUudIm9iUJ8&feature=related

Drumdum
01-31-2008, 07:19 PM
So you think there may some bigguns when I come down in April?

Could well be,just depends if they want to pay a visit from the wrecks to the surf or not... Usually big spring blues are skinny as a rail,a 8lber could have been 12 or 15 if it was filled out like it should be. They still pull good though,specially if the drum ain't biting...

Cutbait Bob
01-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Hellyeah... big blues in the surf - everybody's hooked up!! That'll put hair on yer chest.....

NCsurffisher
01-31-2008, 10:43 PM
The spring bite of big blues has been much more consistent than the non-existent fall run for several years. Unfortunately, most of the fishing is on cut bait and scattered rather than lures on every cast and the fish are, like drumdum said, skinny. Mid-april should be pretty good timing, Cape Point south.

squalus
01-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Freakin' Awesome!

I was coming down for my first Drum, but if I can catch some of the bigger Blues in the surf, I'd be just as happy!

uncdub13
01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
We've been gettin a pretty strong spring run of them the last few years in this area. Everywhere from the ocean and inlets to the backs of the creeks and in between. The big ones are a nice surprise when fishing for reds and trout.

Conrad
02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
They tore them up off Ocracoke for more than two months last year. From one point to the other...but yeah, the 8lb. fish I was catching were 30" long. But didn't take any fight off them from what I could tell...they don't like getting into that skinny surf, I'll tell you that much!

French
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
around Mothers Day weekend throught the weekend prior to Memorial Day, the big choppers were thick on the end of the Emerald Isle Piers. I was down trying to pick up an early season cobia, and those blues were demolishing all the live baits. I picked up at least 30 all between 30-35 inches.

lil red jeep
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Freakin' Awesome!

I was coming down for my first Drum, but if I can catch some of the bigger Blues in the surf, I'd be just as happy!

With all the planning going into this trip south, why do I sense a big grin on your face after you read this?

squalus
02-01-2008, 05:31 PM
With all the planning going into this trip south, why do I sense a big grin on your face after you read this?

I love catching blues!! :D

FishJunky
02-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Whats your guys bait of choice for the big blues. Fresh cut bait or live bait?

squalus
02-07-2008, 12:30 AM
cut bait - bunker chunks

Conrad
02-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Chunks of white shad or mullet.