Question about squid..... [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Question about squid.....

Puppy Mullet
01-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Why do they put that clear piece of plastic in them? so the insides dont stick together. so they will lay flat in the box?
Just wondering...

cygnus-x1
01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Why do they put that clear piece of plastic in them? so the insides dont stick together. so they will lay flat in the box?
Just wondering...

Are you talking about the clear thing that is inside the squid itself? That is their backbone they are vertebrates.

I ask because when I buy frozen squid there is nothing in the box besides squid.

basstardo
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Squid are actually invertebrates. The pen is made of a cartilage like substance, and is only an evolutionary remnant of the mollusc like shells.

"Squids are cephalopod molluscs. They are closely related to octopi and in the same phylum as clams and snails. Squid have generally long, arrow shaped bodies, with a pen (internal shell-like shaft). They have 8 arms and 2 tentacles that they use to capture prey. They move by jet propulsion, by sucking water into their body cavity and expelling it with great speed. Cephalopods are thought to be the most intelligent of all molluscs and possibly of all invertebrates."

"It has no backbone, but rather a quill-like pen located beneath its mantle, or body."

Puppy Mullet
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Im just screwin with ya. But thanks for your informative response. he he

Now seriously..
A few years back they started selling squid packed in crab oil. I really liked the pretty white meat, the smell, the container.. But have come to realize I catch a lot less fish on it compared to the stuff in the box. I dont plan to buy any more..
Is it just me?

Great pick up line...
'Cephalopods are thought to be the most intelligent of all molluscs and possibly of all invertebrates."

cygnus-x1
01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Squid are actually invertebrates. The pen is made of a cartilage like substance, and is only an evolutionary remnant of the mollusc like shells.

"Squids are cephalopod molluscs. They are closely related to octopi and in the same phylum as clams and snails. Squid have generally long, arrow shaped bodies, with a pen (internal shell-like shaft). They have 8 arms and 2 tentacles that they use to capture prey. They move by jet propulsion, by sucking water into their body cavity and expelling it with great speed. Cephalopods are thought to be the most intelligent of all molluscs and possibly of all invertebrates."

"It has no backbone, but rather a quill-like pen located beneath its mantle, or body."

That is what I get for reading wikipedia too fast. I wasn't sure and I searched for 'vert' and found it but I failed to read the entire paragraph. I was unsure but I thought that the cartilage was a remnant of a backbone ... did not know it was a remnant of a shell. pretty cool.

saltandsand
01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Not trying to offend anyone but don't know what other word to use.

I buy squid at Asian supermarkets. They almost always have large squid, up to two and three feet long and several inches in diameter. Its not always available fresh but has always been available frozen. The meat is thick and lends well to cutting thin strips as well as other bait cuts. I think it cuts a little easier when it's partially frozen. You can store it in your own fish or crab oil. It also makes dynamite calamari.

These supermarkets also have various fish, clams and squid heads that make suitable bait. I find the Asian market is much better than an ordinary market for a variety of seafood that makes good bait, as well as tasty food. Get some kimchee while you are there as it is great for the beach especially spicy chili types.

saltandsand
01-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Just wondering...

BTW: The plastic is there just in case you loose your debit card.

Basstardo: Thanks for the scientific view, always nice to see that being covered.

surfchunker
01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
i buy the frozen in boxes that most wally worlds and baitshops sell and have had good luck with it ... I bought a tub of the squid cut into strips and in peeler oil and never had a hit ... actually called calimari or however you spell it

Not too many Asian Markets on Hatteras

thebeachcaster
01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I saw a very nice striper caught on squid earlier this year...

Puppy Mullet
01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I guy actually ask me about that piece of plastic.. My brother told him not to throw um on the beach cause seagulls got choked on them.

Anybody else use the squid in the peeler oil?

Tmg
01-31-2008, 08:50 PM
I guy actually ask me about that piece of plastic.. My brother told him not to throw um on the beach cause seagulls got choked on them.

Anybody else use the squid in the peeler oil?

Greg
When that stuff first came out a hand full of years ago, I was convinced it was gonna be hands down better than the boxed squid because of the peeler juice. At home, I fish with fresh peeler or soft crab almost exclusively, so I liked the idea of the it, but I gotta say, I've probably caught less fish on that stuff than anything I've ever tried. That's saying a lot. I've even caught more fish on a lure I made out of table knife handle than that squid stuff. A waste of time and $.