Outer Banks Ferry [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Outer Banks Ferry

HavekidsWillfish
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Have you heard of a ferry from the Davis, NC area out to the outer banks (not Ocracoke or Hatteras)? The last time I was on the Cedar Island Ferry a local was telling me that they ferry you out there and drop you off with your 4X4. They come back and get you another day.

Anyone know about this????

fishinmama
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
think you are talking about a trip to the core banks.
www.greatislandcamp.com

great island cabin & ferry service 142 willis rd. davis nc 877-956-6568
passenger & 4WD vehicle service to south core bnaks mid march to early dec.

remember seeing something recently about a new ferry driver - or looking for a new ferry driver -- or something like that - i can't find it -- maybe you can find it if you navigate the site -- but i'd for sure call em & make sure the ferry is running

dbigsby
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.capelookoutconcessions.com/

you might try this one also

fishinmama
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
not trying to discourage you havekidswillfish, but you are aware that this area is a MUCH less developed area than is hatteras or ocracoke -- you don't mention kids' ages, but it is ALL about fishing ( & beach activities), and not much else on the core banks. if you are traveling with kids you should know this.

if you are planning on staying there, you'll hafta camp or rent a cabin & bring most, if not all, of your food/supplies with you. if i'm wrong, somebody will let me know.

squalus
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey - welcome to P&S!

RedskinFan228
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Welcome aboard, I told you theys guys/gals could help you out.

Ken

HavekidsWillfish
01-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Will look around and the six year old needs to learn to ruff it a bit anyway. Thanks!!!

Mike

roadkillal
01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
We camped out there twice and it was a blast depending on the time of year make sure you bring plenty of repellant and long slevees. Fishing was good both times, got into a school of weakfish one June that produced a hit at each cast.

Not only do you need to bring everything there are no trash receptacles and you have to take all of your garbage back off.

HavekidsWillfish
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Looking for some advice about what to bring and what not to bring. Anyone rent a cabin?

carbine100
01-22-2008, 09:35 PM
It is a horrible place with snakes and bugs, horrible fishing, and raccons that steal your fish and bait and eat your kids. I go out there a half dozen times a year. The cabins are nice, have hot and cold running water, gas range, flush toilet. Wired for generator, but please leave that at home. I hate listening to them. Truth is I seldom stay in cabin unless my (older) parents are with me. Ice is available most of the time from caretaker. Bait sometimes if you order ahead of time. If you camp on the south end it is about an hour drive each way to cabins/caretaker. Bathhouse is available (most of the time) if you camp. Bring EVERYTHING you need and twice the bug spray you think you need...and carry all your trash back with you. Cost about $100 for regular size 4wd round trip on the ferry. Cabins are fairly expensive/night for what you get. Kitchen/bunkroom, screened porch, and a bathroom. www.drumwagon.com is all about south core. North island (Portsmouth) pretty much same deal with some cabins having some power, and Portsmouth Village to explore. Ferry leaves Atlantic for that one. Search Cape Lookout National Seashore also for more info. Let me know if you need any more spacifics....and don't tell anyone else about my hideaway!

HavekidsWillfish
01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
That is what I was looking to hear. It is a terrible place.....Tell me what is the worst time of year to go? Make sure I won't go then. When you going next carbine100?

carbine100
01-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I am going to try to make the DIFF club spring tourny April 11-12....provided the NPS hires a ferry service provider by then. Fall is best for fishing/bugs. Mid summer can be rough heat and bug wise. Just like fishin, pends on which way and how strong the winds a blowin'. If you are really interested, go to drumwagon site and click on fish reports. It's just a general forum right now, but you will get responces to any/all questions from some really lousy folks like me.

HavekidsWillfish
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks! Been surfing around and see a lot of confusion about the NPS and their contractor. Am I right that they are waiting a couple of weeks to see what decisions are made? Is it, or has it been tough to get a spot out there? What is a good time of year to go (not really sure about what kind of fish are out there when and not sure if it much matters as long as they bite the hook)?

carbine100
01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
best i can tell no one knows what's going on with NPS. Lot's of speculation on drumwagon site. i think they will have it settled in a month or so. spring and fall (later the better, i.e.Oct/Nov) are usually best fishing times. fall is toughest to get ferry/cabin reservations. REALLY tough around last week in September due to DIFF club fall tourny. 4th of July is usually close to full.

Rocks&Reds
01-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Was out there this Oct with my son (12) He says it was the best vacation he's had and he's been on a plenty! We caught everything Drum,spanish,blues,trout,kingfish,sharks,some typeof jack,And there is excellant flounder gigging sound side!!

They're right on the bug juice need lots!!!!!! We left out of Davis ,NC , short ferry ride, cabins were great, generators a most though (the box for your generator is away from the cabin you cant hear it, unless you got a real loud one.)

Highly recommend it!!!

Mudd
01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Be afraid! Be very afraid! :eek:

The biggest, evilest, meanest, uglyest, nastyest, hungryest skeeters on this earth live on Core Banks and Portsmouth Islands. I'd rather swim buck-naked with parannah in the Amazon than walk around on those islands with a square inch of skin showing.

Just remember: YOU WERE WARNED!!!