Need help with Fish ID [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Need help with Fish ID

oilyfishhead
01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Y'all,
This fish was found washed up on the beach right near ramp 55 on Saturday the 19th. Any ideas?

http://www.fishmojo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13689

emanuel
01-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Escolar.

fishinmama
01-21-2008, 01:21 PM
says not to eat em here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

AndyMedic
01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Effects of consumption

Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), it cannot metabolise the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in their diet, which accumulates to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 18–21%. These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, strict control of portion size is recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the oil (e.g. grilling). Portions should be no greater than 6 ounces.

yikes

oilyfishhead
01-21-2008, 01:58 PM
hmm, sounds yummy. I think I'd rather eat the arse out of a skunk. :--|

Dr. Bubba
01-21-2008, 02:09 PM
yikes is right!!:eek:

seems like there are two different escolar.
The plain ole escolar appear to have finlets like tuna species do, while the Roudi escolar do not. It appears this fish doesn't have the finlets.

But from everything I've seen online, the mouth on this doesn't look right to be an escolar. Not saying it's not, just from the photos looks a little different.

lil red jeep
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Effects of consumption

Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), it cannot metabolise the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in their diet, which accumulates to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 1821%. These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, strict control of portion size is recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the oil (e.g. grilling). Portions should be no greater than 6 ounces.

yikes

My God Man...
after reading that:--|!

F I LetsGoFishin
01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
After reading this thread, for all you sushi lovers
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2001-02-01/dining/the-great-white-tuna/
Sorry, raw fish is just bait

clinder
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Effects of consumption

Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), it cannot metabolise the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in their diet, which accumulates to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 1821%. These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

yikes

UHHHH!!!!!!!!! you convinced me my man without a doutb.:eek::eek:

basstardo
01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
My God Man...
after reading that:--|!

No doubt! :eek::--|

whichway
01-22-2008, 11:47 AM
i have eaten and served escolar in a lot of restaurants. i have never had a problem with it.
just have to make sure you are getting the right stuff.

Bigfisherman
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
That's not why they call you Whichway is it?

Just kiddin:D

fishinmama
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
if you access the original link, the ppl over at fishmojo are still trying to id this thing -- seems to be a difference of opinion on the shape of the "nose" and the fins....so if it's not an escolar, what else might it be?

emanuel
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
It's a deepwater fish and to be honest with you, there's stuff down there we don't even know about yet.

fishinmama
01-22-2008, 01:23 PM
not trying to dispute you E, just wondered what else it might be

Bigfisherman
01-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Could it be a wolf fish?

squalus
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I sent an email to the guy who has this website http://www.thejump.net/id/id.htm

Included a photo of the fish and a link to the original post over on fishmojo and told him it had washed up on the beach near Hatteras.

As soon as I get the reply, I'll post it here, OK??

BOWSER
01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Saltwater Sportsman. I'll post the response if there is one.

RuddeDogg
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Effects of consumption

yikes

The kinda meal ya feed to the in-laws ya don't get along with. :D:D:D

fyremanjef
01-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Effects of consumption

yikes

Isn't that stuff on the market at Alli?

bmcox86
01-23-2008, 05:44 PM
i used to eat orange roughy that sucksz

cobiadude33
01-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I checked out that website, and came across this. Pretty wild looking huh?

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/cobiadude/?action=view&current=longnose-chimaera.jpg

Newsjeff
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
The most interesting thing about the whole thread is the fact that the Mo Wire is still alive.

oilyfishhead
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
The most interesting thing about the whole thread is the fact that the Mo Wire is still alive.

Alive and under new management.

thebeachcaster
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
However if it is as oily as all are saying, it might make good bait!

basstardo
01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
No one has said it, but it's a barrelfish. Saw it on another forum. Funky looking critter.

critter gitter
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Yep Barrel Fish

squalus
01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
That's nice to find out because that guy that I sent the phot to never responded...

Thanks for finding the answer guys.

Johnny G-Had
01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
It's a Black Ruff ;)