Wilmington/Cape Lookout [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Wilmington/Cape Lookout

stealneal
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Been fishing the lookout jetty and didnt really see too much happening. Anybody still catching decent numbers of trout up there? and what time of the day? Also in Wilmington, anyone catching anything at the masonboro jetty or along the beach? Havent been fishing too much down here, any reports?

NCsurffisher
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Been fishing the lookout jetty and didnt really see too much happening. Anybody still catching decent numbers of trout up there? and what time of the day? Also in Wilmington, anyone catching anything at the masonboro jetty or along the beach? Havent been fishing too much down here, any reports?

Yes, the NCWaterman website includes a number of recent reports of good trout catches (nice sizes also) at the CLRJ.

As for Masonboro, I haven't heard much, nor have I had much luck there this year, save for one early Nov. trip. I too would love a recent trout report from the MIRJ to help convince me that another trip to the coast is justified.

NateM
01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Man, I haven't caught a single quality fish off the jetty at Masonboro all season. I tend to miss the bite by minutes. Last trip down as I was walking out a guy was heading in with a slob. Said I missed the bite by 30 minutes. They're still around, just have to put your time in!

Ryan Y
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Its been okay in some of the local holes in the marshes. SOme of the areas you might try are next to the piers, Wrightsville-Johnny Mercers and Kure beach pier.

NateM
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Took the yak out around the Masonboro jetty today .. Not a thing. Saw one big ray on the bottom, water was crystal clear. I'd try other spots for a while, like Firespyder said.

Mullet Breath
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I caught two small trout not far from the Kure Beach pier on Mon. using a gulp grub. Both came from a small cut in an inner bar and where holding tight on the edge. I cast all around and both times I hit the ledge I scored. I saw a bunch of birds working like Firespyder said, it looked like some Fat Alberts where out playing.