Fishing Vacation at Outer Banks..... [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Fishing Vacation at Outer Banks.....

redhawknc1
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Retired, so any month will do! What would be considered prime times to choose a fishing vacation for a week or more? Somewhere near the point...Sooner than later! Out of season rates would be great. Any species, just like to fish from the surf, maybe a little pier fishing. Any suggestions on dates and realty companies would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me with any info! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!:fishing:

fishinmama
01-08-2008, 06:51 PM
end of may thru end of august are probably gonna be the highest rates....but then the fishing is better in either april or may.....or september/october/november...gets a little colder in nov than i care for...if you are going as a family & still want quality beach/sun time lean toward sept or early oct.

my family typically goes in sept. & we have some pretty good fishing too -- little bit of everything, tho we are a bit early for the big drum, they do on occasion show up & you usually can get a slot redfish then

species caught--
pompano
flounder
spanish mack
bluefish
sea mullet
puppy drum
trout
doggies
the occasional bigger shark, if that's what you are into.

Fishbreath
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey Wayne, I'd second what FM said...April is good for big drum and sea Mullet but you can get more of a variety in May...big drum are still around along with those species Mama mentioned. Not to mention the weather sort of lays down and is real pleasant. And in June, here come the Cobes, hopefully....

redhawknc1
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Great info! Thanks! Might have to make an earlier trip than that though, going stircrazy here in the mountains. Might do an early one and try another in April or May! I'm ready NOW!:D:D

fishpimper
01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
march can be a super month for big reds -- just look at the water temps. before you go.
wait for the temps. to get into the mid 50's.;)

NCsurffisher
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
For "all around" quality, quantity and variety, it is hard to beat May and October.

saltandsand
01-09-2008, 04:22 PM
For "all around" quality, quantity and variety, it is hard to beat May and October.

I'm in the process of planning vacations for the year. October sure sound inviting. I'k just wondering how many days I can take the kids out of school....hmm? Or maybe I can workout some way where I can stay a few days more after they all come back to Maryland so I can get some quality fishing time in....

DrumintheSuds
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Don't underestimate June. My favorite month or September my second favorite month

redhawknc1
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Sounding more and more like they all are good choices! I'll just have to narrow it down!:):)

Drumdum
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Imho,late May or Oct both are the months I would pick.. You can catch most of if not all the species FM suggested along with big drum in Oct,and a good chance of catching a big cobe in late May...
Coming down for one week can be a problem with weather and all.With those choices(late May or Oct),imho,you'll get at least a few days fishing out of your vaction.. AND you'll stand a good possibility of catching a fish of a lifetime or filling the cooler.. jmo

Scrapple
01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
May and Oct are the best, sadly the fall dates can get messed up with the remnants of hurricanes and trop. depressions that are nowhere near OBX, but the fall fishing is awsome.

Scrapple