How's the fishing at the Fort [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : How's the fishing at the Fort

Fireline20
01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Merry Christmas all,,,haven't posted in while since my last disastrous trip to FF in early December when I:

a. Got caught behind Santa in Carolina Beach's Christmas parade and spent two hours getting back to my hotel.:mad:

b. Blew the engine in my son's 92 Ranger on the way home.

c. Had a flat tire on my 2004 Explorer that cost me $200 to replace because the nail protruded through the side wall.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anyway, had a good Christmas and got a new pair of Hodgeman Weir Waders with the zipper in the front :Dand I am dying to get back to the fort after seeing Firespyder's Rat Red report....figure I could put those waders to good use since I believe I have a clue where he was...:)

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all,,,and tight lines

uncdub13
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
according to firespyder the bluefins were tearin it up just off the beach down there today. anybody got a magged 50w or 80w in their arsenal?:D

Ryan Y
01-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I was down there today this AM. I fished for drum in the bays for a while but nothing happend.

When I came out ramp 3, the commorants and other birds were packed for two hundred yards diving on bait. I still dont know what was under them. I had two seven foot spinning rods with me. I tied on a glass minnow and on the 2nd cast I snagged a bit menhaden.

The school moved out of my reach with the small aresenal I had. I moved south fdown the beach with the birds when they moved but they just sat down on the water and didnt do anything else.

The commorants had goerged themselves though. A lot of them were on the beach not flying after that.

I went north to leave and stopped to talk to a couple guys that were trout fishing in the surf when I went out. One of them said the school was drum. He had seen them come down the beach and managed to hook one on his small trout rod....I thought though that they may have been blues.

Anyhow, while talking to them, something else was goind down out in the Blue water. BIrds were hammering the water way out with very high long dives (gannets).

I focusing the binoculars for a few minutes, I saw a huge torpedo come out of the water, then more....The water was blowing up with bluefins. First time Ive seen that from the beach.

I left but talked to another couple of people today who knew that there were a couple of schools north of Frying pan shoals.

My friend david has seen two beach themselves at Fort fisher in the past as well. Several may remember the pictures in the North Carolina Sportsmans magazine a year or two ago.

There are allot of high relief ledges down that way as well as several wrecks, it wouldnt suprise me if they get thicker out there.

bstarling
01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
we could get Ryan to paddle out some live pogies in his little blue boat. I'll bring a 9/0 and we can watch the smoke come out of the drag!:D I can't imagine a bigger rush that hooking into one of those off the beach. Wouldn't last long but WOW!

Bill:fishing:

I was down there today this AM. I fished for drum in the bays for a while but nothing happend.

When I came out ramp 3, the commorants and other birds were packed for two hundred yards diving on bait. I still dont know what was under them. I had two seven foot spinning rods with me. I tied on a glass minnow and on the 2nd cast I snagged a bit menhaden.

The school moved out of my reach with the small aresenal I had. I moved south fdown the beach with the birds when they moved but they just sat down on the water and didnt do anything else.

The commorants had goerged themselves though. A lot of them were on the beach not flying after that.

I went north to leave and stopped to talk to a couple guys that were trout fishing in the surf when I went out. One of them said the school was drum. He had seen them come down the beach and managed to hook one on his small trout rod....I thought though that they may have been blues.

Anyhow, while talking to them, something else was goind down out in the Blue water. BIrds were hammering the water way out with very high long dives (gannets).

I focusing the binoculars for a few minutes, I saw a huge torpedo come out of the water, then more....The water was blowing up with bluefins. First time Ive seen that from the beach.

I left but talked to another couple of people today who knew that there were a couple of schools north of Frying pan shoals.

My friend david has seen two beach themselves at Fort fisher in the past as well. Several may remember the pictures in the North Carolina Sportsmans magazine a year or two ago.

There are allot of high relief ledges down that way as well as several wrecks, it wouldnt suprise me if they get thicker out there.

Carolina Rebel
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
we could get Ryan to paddle out some live pogies in his little blue boat. I'll bring a 9/0 and we can watch the smoke come out of the drag!:D I can't imagine a bigger rush that hooking into one of those off the beach. Wouldn't last long but WOW!

I'M DOWN!:popcorn::popcorn:
I'll paddle bait on the yellow boat if someone will loan me a wet suit. Might just stay out there with my fightin' set up and see how far one of those jokers can pull me haha.

Conrad
01-02-2008, 12:53 AM
I believe you hook the right one of those from a platform like that, and you better be attached so you can float back to the surface with your boat when it sounds on you! lol :popcorn: That would be a sight...could call up my buddy that way with the 12/0 he sharks with...that should give him at least a few seconds of fight before all 1500 feet of line he's got packed on there disappears!

bstarling
01-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I'M DOWN!:popcorn::popcorn:
I'll paddle bait on the yellow boat if someone will loan me a wet suit. Might just stay out there with my fightin' set up and see how far one of those jokers can pull me haha.

...Will I don't have the wet suit, but am fool enough to try and catch one from the hill. Hell, I'd pay money to watch you go for a ride behind a BF!:eek:

Fireline20
01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Wow Blue Fins off the coast of Fisher.:) How many yards out do you reckon they were?

Man what a You Tube episode that would make,,,yak'ing out, dropping some lines then going for a Nantucket Sleigh Ride...just make sure u take a video camera with you,,,cause I wont to see it on the Net:cool: Probably be best if you used two yaks, for safety reasons and make one a camera boat.

Finger_Mullet
01-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Set the date and I will be there. Blue fins from the beach. Sounds kinda crazy.

Darin

sharkslayer89
01-05-2008, 12:25 AM
ive seen a video (I think on you tube) catching 10 + foot shaks in the yak.. also read a story about tuna fising from them

bluefish1928
01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
on strieprsonline, there have been reports of bluefin tuna taken at montauk each year during the bluefin migration. there are many pics of big bluefin tuna jumping somewhere with the shoreline in the background.

stealneal
01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Yall remember last year or was it 2 years ago, when that huge bluefin that found its way in bogue inlet traped itself in a little bay. Then 2 fisherman being watched by marine patrol caught and killed it without having the permit for it and were tagged with a hefty fine. Its not that unusual to have them come in close from time to time