N/Wester this W/E!!?? How ya supposed to fish that? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : N/Wester this W/E!!?? How ya supposed to fish that?

Jeepster
12-25-2007, 10:46 PM
FRI NIGHT
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING N 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT...
THEN 2 TO 3 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SHOWERS LIKELY.

SUN
W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.

It's a one time shot for me. I don't get to play in the sand like I used to. Been planning this little get-away for awhile, the room is booked at DD's. OK....last year in Nov I took a week at Great Island on Cape Lookout Nat'l Seashore. Camped, fished, had a nice time. But due to a steady Nor/Wester for 5 days, did a lot more camping than productive fishing. The wind blew everything out. Looks like a repeat. How can I compensate for a stiff northwest to west breeze. Oh yeah, it helps with the distance on the cast, but it's kind of a moot point if the fish have been blown clear out to the Gulf Stream for a couple of days. This was not the news I had hoped for. The forecast came from the NWS marine service for Hatteras. I know the forecast can change, and probably will some.....but worst case scenario, and to me a n/w changing to west blow is, how do I work this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, KR

FishinAddiction
12-26-2007, 08:48 AM
this might be a better question for Seabear over on fishmilitia....or JAM.

gilly21
12-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Short and sweet! Look around the other side of the OI bridge with the wind in your face back there!

fishinmama
12-26-2007, 11:11 AM
might wanna try fishing the sound or sound side of the island -- the south side of the point or hatteras inlet south side

Jeepster
12-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Ya know.... I pulled out the map last night and kinda came up with the same thing. I don't have any idea how much 4wd access I'll have, but somewhere around the Bonner bridge there oughta be something. It's been at least 15 years since I fished the catwalk, and I just don't remember if there is access. Back then I didn't have a Jeep either. Guess I'll ask around once I get there. Maybe the sound side of the point has some access. I'm really kinda clueless when it comes to gettin around the surf up that way. I'm a SOBX (south) guy. Emerald Isle, Morehead, Ft.Macon, Beaufort, Harkers, Davis, Cedar Island. Don't know a thing about anything north of Ocracoke. I used to live in Tidewater, (before they changed the name to Greater Hampton Roads) but that was longer ago than I care to remember. Maybe Ken or his wife can point me once I get there. Here's hopin for the best. I'm not targeting anything specific. I'll soak some bait on the 2 heavers and play with mirrolures and jigs on the other rod. I just plan to toss out a smorgasboard, and work the artificials I do have. I'll be in a red (or what's left of the paint) '91 Cherokee with a CALO sticker on my back window and a homemade rod rack on the front bumper. I guess I'll toss the CB in before I go. Holler at me if ya see the red cherokee. Let 'er blow, I've got plenty of foul weather gear. :) :) KR

fishinmama
12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/off-road-vehicle-use.htm

click on Off Road Vehicle/ Beach Access Map

but ck when you get there to see if any ramps or closures are in affect.

good luck & have fun

don't forget to buy yourself a NC SW fishing license for your time there.

Jeepster
12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I appreciate the link. As I look at the ramps and sound side 4wd trail, I can't help but wonder.....
Is the sound side trail like the one on Cape Lookout? One lane, thoroughly rutted, no pulloffs, surrounded by dune grass, with no access to the water? You can't just park and hike on the CALO sound side trail. It is patrolled, with protected dunes either side of the trail itself. I'm not knocking the protection, without it, boneheads would shred the dunes and CALO would eventually blow away, but it does make access pretty tough. On the southern tip, by the lighthouse is a small pull-off with some parking. The whole direction of this questioning is to be able to work the sound side this W/E. Any ideas?
Thanks, KR

Jeepster
12-26-2007, 03:49 PM
More pre-trip musing..... Why not just jump the ferry to Ocracoke, get on at the 72, and work from there to the lighthouse? Is this doable? Melinda at Tradewinds repeats the doggie, skate report, with occasional blues on lures. Can you get around the point and work the sound side of Ocracoke by getting on at the 72? Thanks, got the gotta go fever bad. KR

fishinmama
12-26-2007, 04:48 PM
jeepster -- just read somewhere that the ferry schedule is being somewaht adjusted cuz of bridge work -- don't have the link at my fingertips, but i'll look for it -- less back & forth ferries & don't run as long into the evening -- maybe DD knows

fishinmama
12-26-2007, 04:57 PM
here
https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/pio/releases/details.aspx?r=1449

maybe this won't affect you -- this is in Jan.--least that's how i read it.

Drumdum
12-26-2007, 07:52 PM
this might be a better question for Seabear over on fishmilitia....or JAM.

I'm not Bear or Jam,but I'll do my best.. :D

Inlet can be the answer as there have been pups there.. I've had good luck on stripers there on nw in the past,but they really haven't been in there with the last two mild winters..

Nw can be one of the best winds,depending on how mudded up the water gets.. N beach can work as well as both sides of the point.. It has a great deal to do with the water clarity... S end of Hatteras beyond the point has you seltered with a nw'r to some degree,and usually has clearer water.. Which can mean specks,or pups,maybe even flounder like the ones Tater and I caught last yr during a nw wind...

Talk at ya when ya get here... ;)

Jeepster
12-26-2007, 10:20 PM
:D 'Preciate the reply. Lookin forward to meetin ya. It'll be a good trip. Going thru my stuff, sharpenin' hooks, checkin' tackle, makin' a tackle list. I hear RDT is the place for that. I do plan to buzz down to Ocracoke. Seems a shame to drive up from the south, go around, hang out in Frisco, and not slip on down there for a few.The ferry doesn't shift schedules till Jan 2nd, I think he said. Runs every hour for now. I was gonna come up that way, from Cedar Island, but it actually takes less time to drive the long way around, what with catching 2 ferries. See ya sometime this W/E. KR :D:D

FishinAddiction
12-27-2007, 05:51 AM
:D 'Preciate the reply. Lookin forward to meetin ya. It'll be a good trip. Going thru my stuff, sharpenin' hooks, checkin' tackle, makin' a tackle list. I hear RDT is the place for that. I do plan to buzz down to Ocracoke. Seems a shame to drive up from the south, go around, hang out in Frisco, and not slip on down there for a few.The ferry doesn't shift schedules till Jan 2nd, I think he said. Runs every hour for now. I was gonna come up that way, from Cedar Island, but it actually takes less time to drive the long way around, what with catching 2 ferries. See ya sometime this W/E. KR :D:D

On second thought, if ya see a kid with a big ole grin and a brand new Saltiga, FOLLOW HIM!:fishing::)

OBX_Nomad
12-27-2007, 08:55 AM
On second thought, if ya see a kid with a big ole grin and a brand new Saltiga, FOLLOW HIM!:fishing::)

Hmmmmm, I think I'd follow the kid with the Saltist 20H. ;-)