Cocoflea: Question for ya [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Cocoflea: Question for ya

TunaFish
05-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Yesterday, I fished at SPSP and met this guy who used to live in the CT area. He talked my ears off on these monster stripers up in your alley. He told me these are 20-40lb class stripers that are in the rivers all year around and that he would tear them up everytime he fishes there. One of the rivers he mentioned is the Housatonic river and he catches them all year using topwater plugs. Is he full of it or is this really true? I think it's just a bunch of fisherman's tales!!

Angler
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Heís full of it for sure.

Very true we have some very nice cows that come here. Full of crap heís catching them year round if at all especially in the Housy. I fish this river all the time all year long. Hooked and released a few dozen fish there yesterday afternoon and evening. 27Ē was the largest one. We have winter hold overís in there now to play with in the winter. During the spring (NOW) and fall runs you have a chance at a big girl. But to say he catches them all the time and many, fish tails. I have plenty of spots out in the Sound that you can pick up very large fish on and they are here most of the season. Out of the 3 major rivers we have the Housy is by far the worst for fishing. Unfortunately itís the closest I have and the one Iím on the most.

Tell him to send you all his pictures. Or did he forget his camera each and every time he caught a cow.:rolleyes:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/MyFishPictures2005/100_0143.jpg

TunaFish
05-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I knew it!! He started to annoy me with his ramblings..No, I'm not going to ask for his pictures, because I don't want to hear any of his future garbage!!!:mad:

Oh yeah, that' sone heckuva cow you got there!!!:cool:

HuskyMD
05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
That picture makes me homesick...grew up in Canton, CT.

cocoflea
05-25-2007, 07:29 PM
He is streching the true yes you can catch them all year round if weather permits, but NOT the huge cows he is talking about and in the Housy like angler stated is not the best river to catch them in. Now 2 years ago we had a run of Large fish being caught from June thru August and the fall run was out of this world last year was the worst year ever. this year so far there fishing has been better, but not many fish over 27" have been caught

TunaFish
05-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I though he was full of it from the beginning!!!

We'll, this year has started well for me, so I think it should be fine for you as well. The Jersey guys are doing we'll, so it's a matter of time you'll be nailing them bigguns.

Angler
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Keepers are already being caught and keepers can be caught most days out after May if you know where to go and what to do. The CT coast and Sound is a pretty big place if you donít target the right areas. Personally Iím not a big bait guy so live lining and chunking isnít my thing. I chuck lures all day and night. This to me is a more challenging way to fish. Granted I donít hook into the cows as often as the bait drownders that know where to go but I think I have more fun.

The picture above is my buddy Bill who took the fish of the day. I kick butt compared to most. Bill makes me look silly.:eek: One hell of a striper fisherman who knows EVERY rock.

I find most rocks. Once I hit them with my prop.;)

I out fish him 2 to 1 until we split up in different areas for the last half hour of casting. Then he made my cows look small. fishing from 6am until 11:30 am I released over 30 fish. 12 were keeper size (over 28").

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/codfishhead/Spring%20Stripers%202006/P5310268.jpg