Any news from Sunset Beach? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Any news from Sunset Beach?

Hurricane44
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Has anyone heard an update lately on the fishing scene at Sunset Beach? I'm heading that way for fall break and thought I'd ask around about the best pier/surf locations near Sunset Beach, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

seaBreeze
10-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Can't tell you about Sunset beach but i was at Ocean Isle pier last weekend and heard that Friday morning about 50 spots were landed there..nadda on Friday night...Heard on Saturday that Cherry Grove pier had over 400 spots decked on Friday night....not much doing at Ocean Isle, there were a few small whiting, pompano, a searobin, blowfish, skates, and an octopus! on Saturday...Some flounder on the incoming tide, mornings, south side of pier using live mullet which were everywhere and easy to catch with a cast net....i managed a under sized flounder on a killie, released it, but it kept me from getting skunked!

Hurricane44
10-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Hello to all,

Sunset has been catching some spots, but they are infrequent at best. Tonight around 9pm they started to pick up, but since they close around 11pm the spots may very well move through without anyone there to catch them! The 20-30 that I saw tonight were relatively small as well, about a month ago I was lucky enough to take part in a small (5hr) spot run on Sunset pier and they were much bigger spots. Anyone know why these late season spots are so small? Overfishing, etc.? Anyways, tight lines to all.

Regards,
David