10/6-10/9 Duck Surf Report [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : 10/6-10/9 Duck Surf Report

mattie g
10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
After much anticipation, we traveled to Duck for a long Columbus Day weekend - our annual trip for relaxation, nipping at the bottle, and (for me anyways) fishing. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate on much of anything, although keeping indoors led to quite a few more empty bottles at the end of the trip than originally expected ;)

We got down there early-afternoon on Friday, when I was hoping to hit the surf for a couple hours bevfore the weather got bad. Our house was a mess, so we had to go through the process of making a complaint, having the cleaning crew come out, etc. - so that took some time away from my getting in the surf. Finally, at about 4:30 or so I got down there withe the wind still not blowing too hard, only to find that 10 ounces wouldn't eve hold bottom for me. That did me in for the day (especially since I don't have the equipment to handle that kind of fishing).

Went out Saturday morning with a slight SW wind keeping the seas in check. I was only using FBs - bloodworm and shrimp - and nothing was doing for me. I was really hoping to catch some bait for the bigger boys, but that didn't work out. 6 ounces was holding, but had no bite at all. By the time mid-afternoon hit, the wind was blowing about 20 mph with gusts to 35 and seas 8-10 feet, so I called it a day with no pullage.

Same deal happened on Suday - high, rough seas and not much happening on the FBs, so I decided on Sunday night to grab fresh mullet from Bob's to see if that might help change my luck. Cut it up that night and got it ready for the next day.

Monday morning, woke up at about 7:00 hoping to catch the last couple hours of the incoming tide and the start of the outgoing. Rain was coming down pretty good, with a NE wind at about 15 mph, but I figured I'd give it a whirl. Surprising to me, the surf had laid down just a bit (probably 4-6 feet) and 4 ounces was holding for me. I was out there for about 20 minutes when I got my first run off - ended up being a 16" pup. Needless to say, my vacation was made just by that one short fish, but I proceeded to get into quite a few more before the bite shut down. Eventually had six more pups from 16-19" and a 25" striper over the next two hours, all on cut mullet between the beach and the first bar. The striper surprised the hell out of me, to say the least.

I brought the little lady out as the tide was heading out and she hooked into a small pup, but she was happy to finally get her own pullage on the trip. She likes fishing, but she MUCH prefers catching, so I had to wait until I got action before convincing her to brave the elements ;) .

All in all, it was a fun trip, although the weather was pretty dismal. I was happy to just bring a few fish in, given the conditions and the ominous start to the trip. I caught my fish on the first drum rigs I've ever tied, so that made it even more special. Thanks to everyone for the input in getting myself ready for the trip!

Cdog
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Rough weekend weather wise. Congrats on the catch and nice report.

mattie g
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Cdog. That weather didn't want to let up. Of course, when we left yesterday morning, the wind had died down and the sun was shining bright!

This was the first time I've gotten into more than one drum, so the multiple pups made Monday a good day. Add the striper on top of that and it made for a great couple hours of fishing. Like I said, my expecations were pretty low as we left on Friday, so that one morning made the trip for me.

Wish I could get out in the surf more than I do, but I'll have to live with just the once-per-year trip to NC for now. At some point I'll find the time...