Corolla report 9/17 -9/30 [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Corolla report 9/17 -9/30

1BadF350
10-02-2006, 02:28 PM
First week was awsome! Surf was high but the puppies were there. Caught several just below keeper size and two that were 22 and 26 inches.
Taylor and Snapper blues were abundant. Caught a 3 foot shark on a chunk of squid. I think it was a sandbar shark or something.
There was the occasional small black drum and pompano that bit the fishbites worm.
Spot were there too. Didn't catch them all the time but when they came in, I was getting double hookups consistantly.
Had 2 runoffs. The 2nd of which broke the bottom hook and leader from the drum rig I was using and broke the uppr hook itself completely in half!
Speaking of which I lost 2 fish to the damn little gold hooks on the Sea Striker Spot rigs. Those damn gold hooks are so brittle they break. One of the lost fish was a nice size Speck that broke the hook just as I got him up in the wash. I haven't a clue what the other fish was because it broke the hook about 30 seconds after I set it.

WARNING: TW's Tackle has some bluefish rigs in blue packaging that are called "Freedom Rigs" or "Freedom Lure" or something. STAY AWAY FROM THEM! They last about a day then the crimps start to give way and the rig comes apart. I have several that I reeled in only the main leader and the weight.
Also stay away from the "Sea Striker" Spot rigs with the gold hooks. The hooks will break off on a fish bigger than 12" or so. Heck I had a few break while trying to pull the Fishbites mesh off.
The guy's at TW's were outstanding, friendly, and helpful. They offered me my money back on the rigs but I chose an OBX sticker instead.:D
Chartered the "Hera" one day out of Corolla bait and tackle. $450 and we caught 3 taylor blues and 3 small Spanish Mack's. I wasn't happy.

stlcrtn
10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
did you happen to fish the stumps up around penny's hill, and how far north did you go

1BadF350
10-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I fished the stumps that are about one mile or so from the beach access ramp. I was in a big black chevy tahoe.

Highlight was when the horses came down to mingle with us and one took a big dump at the base of my buddies pole.:D

stlcrtn
10-03-2006, 10:02 AM
any luck around the stumps, if so what did you catch and with what bait/lure. i might be down in carova next week and was wondering if it was worth the trip down to the stumps. ive seen them since i was a kid but never fished them. thanks

1BadF350
10-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Stumps weren't that hot. At high tide your rigs get hung up on them and you have to cut them off and wait until low tide to get them back.

fish militia
10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck on your trip.1st I must say that every product in the world is subject to a bad batch.I have been using the same 2 Sea Striker rigs w/gold hooks most of the summer and have caught numerous fish of all sizes,including 5 keeper pups on those particular rigs..I wouldn't give up on them.They are good rigs for the money..as a matter of fact I use the 3 hook setup that they offer.

Second..after the 1st puppy and loosing a Speck ..I would have been tying my own rigs with a 30lb main,dropper loops and some 3/0 hooks..that would have helped ya greatly.

There is some big fish up that way right now..this I know;)

Sounds like ya went to a Gun fight w/ nail clippers:D

hic-lock
10-03-2006, 04:43 PM
stlcrtn, ya going this weekend?

I'm leaving this Friday & stay'en till Sunday afternoon.

I saw you were looking for bait on the VA board, I may go to Lynnhaven w/the throw net. Fresh is best!

fish militia ya gonna be there too?

stlcrtn
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
hic-loc, not this weekend gotta work but ive got off next week so im thinking of going down for a couple of days. never know though i may go down sunday, if i do ill look for you, what do you drive down there and where do you usually sit at on the beach

fish militia
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Hic Loc

I'll Be around;)

hic-lock
10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
I drive a silver F150 w/matching cap. I'll be between the Old CG station and 23 mile post. Stop in and kick one back if ya'll want.

SEABEAR
10-07-2006, 06:00 PM
was that you that drove by on friday when i was pulling one of the big red ones out?

skiffisher
10-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I have to agree with fish militia about the bad batch of hooks. I had a similiar problem with some clark spoons I bought from a tackle shop. The hooks on three of them broke on hook ups, but havent ever had one brake since.
MATT

hic-lock
10-09-2006, 10:18 AM
was that you that drove by on friday when i was pulling one of the big red ones out?

Nope SEABEAR, I bagged it because of the blow. DAYUM, Guess i zigged when I shoulda zagged. Good work, got some before the wind cut loose huh?

I'm dying to get some salt air on my face and sand tween my toes. Mondays suck, 4 days before takeoff. Aint nuttin gonna stop me this week!