New "used once" surf rod [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : New "used once" surf rod

Bull Durham
09-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Due to the likely demise of our favorite pier, we decided were gonna have to do more surf fishing.
A friend of a friend had a rod n reel for sale, I bought it. The rod is a shakespear Ugly Stick-BWS1100 15' Medium Heavy 12-40lb line. The reel is a Penn model 5500SS High Speed 4.21. Never used anything over 8' before so I know its gonna take a LOT of practice to use the thing. Is this like overkill for the area between Fort Macon and Emerald Isle? Im a soaker not a retriever most of the time. Is a five ounce storm sinker enuff to hold it, assuming I can get it out there? I got the outfit for less than the reel list in Bass Pro catalog so I couldnt resist :)

eb angler
09-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Have fun with it!

It's never too big...;)

earthbound

Drumdum
09-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Due to the likely demise of our favorite pier, we decided were gonna have to do more surf fishing.
A friend of a friend had a rod n reel for sale, I bought it. The rod is a shakespear Ugly Stick-BWS1100 15' Medium Heavy 12-40lb line. The reel is a Penn model 5500SS High Speed 4.21. Never used anything over 8' before so I know its gonna take a LOT of practice to use the thing. Is this like overkill for the area between Fort Macon and Emerald Isle? Im a soaker not a retriever most of the time. Is a five ounce storm sinker enuff to hold it, assuming I can get it out there? I got the outfit for less than the reel list in Bass Pro catalog so I couldnt resist :)

That reel is undersized for the rod,IMO..

Fishbreath
09-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Yep...what DD said. If you like Penn, you may want to go up to the 6500SS

the rhondel
09-22-2006, 09:43 AM
...or the 7500....the R

Fish Hunter
09-22-2006, 10:51 AM
15' Ugly Stick is heavy and tough to handle. I personally would sell it on ebay and purchase a 10 or 11' Sealine X or Tica and use the reel you have with the new rod. 15' for the areas you will be fishing is definitely overkill. It will work you to death.

Just my opinion.

BOWSER
09-22-2006, 11:29 AM
is a 12' Tica with the Penn 8500. I have recently gotten into a 525 Mag Conventional. I am a master birdnest builder. If yer gonna try and throw that Ugly, do your finger a favor.

http://breakawayusa.com/shop/cannon.jpg

It'll make a big difference in the distance you throw as well as save yer finger.

Bull Durham
09-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the infomation. Just bought a truck last month, first payments due next week,moneys tight so im pretty much stuck with what i got for a while. At least the truck'll be paid off a few months befor social security kicks in maybe I can buy a better rod then:rolleyes:

Jeepster
09-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah, what bowser said, I've got a
12' Ugly with a penn 7500ss. The breakaway cannon is a nice little gadget. Wouldn't be without it. Hattera Outfitters carries em too. http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/
My setup is kinda heavy, but it does the job. Have fun.