Cheap Starter ???? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Cheap Starter ????

Jeepster
09-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Uh.... I'm really debating on whether to spend what it takes to get a decent open face baitcaster . I've got an older Penn 750 ss on an older 12' Ugly Stick with a breakaway cannon. Not exactly a high dollar setup, but the price was right. (Bought the stuff separately on ebay, the BA cannon from his site). The reel is nicer than the rod. Using an OTG cast, with 6oz, I consistenly get 90', with an occasional 110' using 20lb stren and 50lb el cheapo shock. I know this range is nothing to get excited about, but it's the best I can do with the gear, weight and limited practice I get. I would love to get into the 150' range using 6 to 8 oz and since I have to use a shock, I'm concerned about a level wind. Don't want to go to a tapered shocker, tie my own back to back uni.I'm a soaker, not a retreiver. I've got a cheap 12' small eye bait rod rod I'd like to learn on. (Beefstick). Is there a cheap starter conventional with at least 3 bearings that will get me going? Money is a big issue here, or I'd just pour $$$ into a nice Shimano. Goin to the south core banks in late Oct for 4 days and want to get my stuff in order. Thx, Kevin in Goldsboro

Clyde
09-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Daiwa sl30sh, 99.95 most places.

mantriumph
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Phlueger contender 50HS,,,,65.00 bucks

Jeepster
09-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Found a decent slosh 20, any major differences between the 20 and 30??
Thx, Kevin

Drumdum
09-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Found a decent slosh 20, any major differences between the 20 and 30??
Thx, Kevin

Core Banks,targeting drum?? That 20 will do just fine,doesn't have the line capasity of a 30. It will actually cast a little better with the smaller spool. Has enough line 17-20lb test to fight a drum,IMO..

Jeepster
09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Yep. Gonna do the fall drum thing. Thanks for the input. I've heard good things abouth the 20. Sounds like a great starter. Would love to have a Penn 525 mag...... maybe later. Thanks, Kevin

Jeepster
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Found a used 20 for a good price. Thanks again. Now I just gotta learn how to use it. Start easy and work up from there is what I've heard. Should be a hoot. Kevin

Sea2aeS
09-17-2006, 02:18 PM
slosh 20 is a really good reel for drummies. You can even upgrade the spool bearings with ceramics and rocketfuel for added distance on the right rod. set of ceramics otta run ya round 35$. easy to install yourself. ide spool a slosh 20 with 17lb for the little extra capacity you get on an already small reel. as far as a decent low price heaver for the slosh20. I know it would match up nicely to a tica 12, oceanmaster, etc. hope this helps.

Drumdum
09-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Yep. Gonna do the fall drum thing. Thanks for the input. I've heard good things abouth the 20. Sounds like a great starter. Would love to have a Penn 525 mag...... maybe later. Thanks, Kevin

The 20 will be all ya need,525mag is a good reel also.. Has about same line capasity,and cast good as well.. IMHO the 20 is more durable,better drag,in general,better feeshin reel,JMHO... In other words,no need to upgrade to a 525 cause the 20 is as good.
Straight outta the box with red brakes,until you get familiar with the reel,and you're good ta go with any drummin ya wanna do... ;)