Sept 12/13 Ocean Crest Pier Report (Oak Island) [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Sept 12/13 Ocean Crest Pier Report (Oak Island)

MCS
09-13-2006, 10:27 PM
MY buddy and I started out at 0400 yesterday morning on the 2.5 hour trip from Jacksonville to Oak Island. With the Wilmington bypass, and no traffic we made it in an hour and half (not speeding). We waited outside the pier house until 0600 (opening) and reserved our king fishing spot. For those of you that haven't been down there, they have 50 "slots" for King fishing. You pay for your spot and are held to it.

The water was "tea color" due to the fresh water runoff from the surrounding rivers as a result of TS Ernesto. Loads of finger mullet in the water.

There were around 10 Spanish Macs caught on the king rigs, avg weight was about 3.5 lbs. My buddy had one hit his king rig, but he was at the pier house so I brought it in for him. We adhered to the "half rule". (Wife told me that I MUST bring home some Spanish for her, so that made my trip worthwhile). Bottom fishing didn't produce much. The blue bite was non existent. A few flounder were caught as well.

Today, the water was worse, but the blues were biting on Gotchas. A couple flounder were brought up and 3 spanish were caught.

Overall the trip was worthwhile although we didn't catch much. After Risely Pier (aboard Camp Lejeune) was blown down last year by Hurrican Ophelia, any time we get a chance to throw the king rigs out makes for a good time. Met some real nice guys and gals (two were king fishing).

sinker man
09-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Good report sarge. Maybe it will get better after this front blows thru and the water clears some.I think Surf City was mostly spots during that time.