Hatteras Island Weekly Report (6.22.03 - 6.27.03) [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Hatteras Island Weekly Report (6.22.03 - 6.27.03)

Jake Ace
06-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Okay I was down here for a week, and here's my report from various spots along the outer banks and what I caught and saw caught during the week.

Sunday June 22nd - Oregon Inlet Catwalk - tagged / released 4 flounder on cut bait, and saw a TON of spots caught by double bottom riggers using bloodworms; also saw a few black drum, and sheepshead caught on the pilings.

Monday June 23rd - Hatteras Lighthouse Area Beach - tagged / released 8 flounder on chartreuse jigs in very, very clear water; also saw a nice black drum beached. Got a keeper 17" flounder for dinner.

Monday June 23rd - Canadien Hole - waded, using live spot & pinfish; got two knockdowns on the bobber, but only managed one bluefish.

Tuesday June 24th - Hatteras Lighthouse Area Beach - tagged / released 3 flounder on jigs; that was all; many schools of bait in the water being chased by bluefish and spanish, but I only managed 1 13" spanish by accident on a jig.

Wednesday June 25th - Oregon Inlet Catwalk - tagged / released 11 smallish flounder; fished with a group of fellahs who were on the right spot and catching them on pieces of shrimp.

Thursday June 26th - Hatteras Lighthouse Area Beach - tagged / released 3 flounder on live mullet and mud-minnows; saw a couple nice black drum landed on clams and also a triggerfish on clams.

Friday June 27th - Hatteras Inlet Jetties - fished with live mullet and although we only had one bite it was a 25" 6lb 3 oz flounder. Netted it on the jetties, and walked back into the beach area for a measurement / quick hand scale weighing and then tagged it with my last tag and released.

Friday June 27th - Hatteras Lighthouse Area Beach - many, many spanish chasing baitfish, but not our lures. My brother got another nice flounder ... this one a 19" and I got a small flounder and a bluefish on live mullet.

We had very nice weather and clear surf the whole week. That made it easier to fish.

THROW SOME / ANY / MOST / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

HuskyMD
07-08-2003, 09:44 AM
First time to the island...only tried fishing the rodanthe pier (just caught spot, croaker, roundhead, shark, and way too many rays) and the sound (blues, and different panfish).

The pier was really slow. I really enjoyed fishing the sound. There is a large sandbar sticking out into the sound just south of Avon. I parked and waded out to the end of the bar. Used a 10.5 ' rod to throw some bait and caught lots of fish!

Even shared my bait with some people who happened by. Got them into the fish as well. Was a lot of fun!