Hatteras Trip Log [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Hatteras Trip Log

YakAttack
09-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Well instead of leaving Thursday afternoon and getting to Avalon Pier late evening, we left around 9:00 Thursday morning and got on the pier by around 2:00 PM. Kinda slow at first, but a few good bursts of bluefish. We kept about 15 for night bait, hoping for a toothy fish.

We lost a few rigs, two to 5' + stingrays. Finally, around 1:30 AM we got about a six footer on, looked like a Lemon. Rope gaffed him but he dropped at the top railing and somehow straightened out the hook and broke the line. Had the clicker on in case that happened but the line hung somewhere.. I think the gaff had hold of the rig as well as the shark. We were planning to keep him for steaks, but it wasn't meant to be. I just hope the old feller didn't get any serious injury in the ordeal. Dont think he did.

Got down to the motel around 8 this morning and the nice folks at Cape Hatteras Motel gave us an early check-in. Got a little sleep and caught a few blue crab. Got 5 so far, hoping for enough to be worth washing down with a brewsky by tomorrow night :D

Sucked losing the shark without a picture - haven't successfully landed one yet. Think next time we should gaff it and try to get it down to the beach instead of trying to pull it up on the pier (anyone got $.02 on that?). We learn a little each time. :)

Not sure whats in store for the rest of the day, probably some surf feeshing. Maybe the hook.

More later,

- Luther

Drumdum
09-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Used to bring them up on the planks all the time.. We would put at least 2 gaffs in them before trying to hoist them over though.. Luther,not preaching,but make dern sure it is not a sandtiger before you attempt to gaff.. They are illegal in NC to kill...

YakAttack
09-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the heads up Ken. It wasn't a sand tiger, and I'm aware of that restriction.

Surf fished in the hook yesterday, without producing much, just a couple of spot. We did yak out some baits though on Bob's new yak. That was fun. Didnt get any hots on them though.

Cheers.

- Luther

Drumdum
09-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Just bluefish in the sound for me today. Good size and lots of em though...

Hope ya get ya one a those toothy ones,so we can get a report to find out if they are in there or not.. Sharkfest ain't far away,and you were in THE spot...

YakAttack
09-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Fished the sounds yesterday and got a few small flounder and one keeper. Also took a ride out on the ocean side looking for some birds. Fould some loose flocks but no feeding frenzies. Got 3 dozen bally hoo and some rigs to get ready for out trip out to the stream.

Got a call late last night that my uncle died. Our family is pretty close (he lived a mile from me), so I'm waiting for my wife to drive down from VA and pick me up. The other guys are out in the stream now though. Hope they have some luck out there. As for me, I'll be on the road back home in a couple of hours. My heart just isn't in it right now.

Cheers.

- Luther

aln
09-11-2006, 12:00 AM
does gaffing a sand tiger = a kill.. whats the deal?

fisherkid
09-11-2006, 12:04 AM
does gaffing a sand tiger = a kill.. whats the deal?
one could say that. you should only gaff something you intend to keep because sticking a large hook in it's body equels in my opinion certain death. even if it didn't die from bleeding out shorlty if not immediantly it would problaly get an infection.
my 2 pennys
Fisherkid:)

aln
09-11-2006, 12:37 AM
I dont believe that.. I caught a 100+ lb lemmon off the pier.. had to gaff it to get it on board.. then a buddy said he was gonna clean it and take the meat.. I came back about 6 hrs later to fish and it was still laying on the deck.. I took a board off the bottom rail of the pier and pushed it back into the water.. took a bit but it moved off under its own power.. but it was cold and rainy though... sharks are tough...
Yall tyring to make me feel guilty about catching and gaffin fish ??? Aint gonna happen.. if a fish makes it to the pilings its fair game to be stuck or netted.

Al

Drumdum
09-11-2006, 07:30 AM
I dont believe that.. I caught a 100+ lb lemmon off the pier.. had to gaff it to get it on board.. then a buddy said he was gonna clean it and take the meat.. I came back about 6 hrs later to fish and it was still laying on the deck.. I took a board off the bottom rail of the pier and pushed it back into the water.. took a bit but it moved off under its own power.. but it was cold and rainy though... sharks are tough...
Yall tyring to make me feel guilty about catching and gaffin fish ??? Aint gonna happen.. if a fish makes it to the pilings its fair game to be stuck or netted.

Al

On this one,Aln,I have ta beg ta differ... Yeap,many will swim off after having a gaff stuck through thier side,many even most will swim off just fine.. Many will survive it,but there is a good number that will swim off and NOT survive as well...
Not trying to make you feel guilty,although,if anyone employed by ncdmf or dmf catches you gaffing a sandtiger you WILL BE written up on the spot.. If the shark is of illegal size and you gaff it,you will also be ticketed.. Not tellin you this to scare ya,just tellin ya you're gonna need some deep pockets if you gaff the wrong shark.. You see a shark,got a possitive id and you're positive its legal length,STICKHIM,by all means... ;)

aln
09-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Is that any shark or just some? Does that mean your sposed to cut the line off and release.. forgive my ignorqnce but this is/was news to me.Does the same apply to any other fish.. say with a gig??

Drumdum
09-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Is that any shark or just some? Does that mean your sposed to cut the line off and release.. forgive my ignorqnce but this is/was news to me.Does the same apply to any other fish.. say with a gig??

There is a minimum length for many species of sharks. A spiny dog,sharpnose,or smooth dog,you can keep one.. Don't quote me on it,but I think the minimum length is 57",if not someone will correct me.. I don't keep sharks anymore. Use to kill them all the time,and I regret that fact.. You see,BIG sharks were plentiful in the 70's and early 80's.. All kinds of species from hammers to lemons.. Nowadays they are scarse in compairisn.. Yes,I do break them off at the pier,and letem swim off with the leader and hook..
Back to your question about a gaff.. Yes there are some species of fish,that if fishcop sees ya gaff you'll get a ticket for.. Red Drum would be an example,or any undersized fish as well.. Net will work fine for most fish,but at times a gaff is the way ta go.. If the fish is of legal size and is legal (sandtiger isn't),you can gaff to your hearts content..

notso
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
There is a minimum length for many species of sharks. A spiny dog,sharpnose,or smooth dog,you can keep one.. Don't quote me on it,but I think the minimum length is 57",if not someone will correct me....

The magic # is 54" on most of the allowed species. There isn't a size limit on sharp nose (only 1/day though) & I don't think there's any resrictions on doggies. At least that's how I read it, but I've been wrong before...

Drumdum
09-12-2006, 05:51 AM
The magic # is 54" on most of the allowed species. There isn't a size limit on sharp nose (only 1/day though) & I don't think there's any resrictions on doggies. At least that's how I read it, but I've been wrong before...

Sounds right,wasn't really sure.. Like I said,I don't keep'm anymore anyway...

JAM
09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Its a little confusing but they droped the max size on them.. Used to be 54 to 84 they droped the 84 part. Also they made recs follow same regs as com on sharks.. Don't part take too much on the sharking... But Cut Bait gave me the link a while back. I'll look for it and post.. JAM :)

Lipyourown
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Even if it swims back fine, it has a hole in it that acts like a dinner bell to something else. Just a thought.

Drumdum
09-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Its a little confusing but they droped the max size on them.. Used to be 54 to 84 they droped the 84 part. Also they made recs follow same regs as com on sharks.. Don't part take too much on the sharking... But Cut Bait gave me the link a while back. I'll look for it and post.. JAM :)

Thanks,John that would be preciated.. :)