Wirghtsville Beach [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Wirghtsville Beach

Ryan Y
09-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Clyde, Bill and Myself met out at WB last night. Followed by Kramer and Jose later on. Clyde got the biggest shark but its not worth really talking to much about.
I left after Clyde and Bill, leaving Jose and Kramer. Evidently, the fish started biting a little better. Those two took home a few really nice Blues. Jose caught a few small puppies, and Kramer caught the biggest Lady Fish I believe Ive ever seen in my life! Cant wait to hit it again.

uncdub13
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
wish yall had your cells on you, we woulda joined. headed to the other end instead (didnt feel like walkin far) and did alright. had some big ladyfish and blues for bait, missed a few good runs but beached this one as well as some smaller specimens..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/uncdub13/DSCN1777.jpg

just about spooled me, never had a BT run like that before. also there were TONS of big popeye mullet just a few feet from the sand.

Hurricane44
09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
So you caught that shark on the south end of Wrightsville beach? Were you near the jetty? I thought you weren't allow to even beach sharks on Wrightsville beach... oh well! I have tried to float a pin fish or small blue out on the right side, inlet side, of the jetty for a cobia/king/tarpon, etc. but each time I go the wind doesn't cooperate, and I don't have a yak. I do enjoy seeing how you guys do though, and the shark pics are always awesome. Take it easy and good luck.

David

uncdub13
09-07-2006, 09:14 PM
south end yeah, jetty no. dont need a kayak, just throw the biggest bait you can throw and hold on.

Clyde
09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
THAT's where all the mullet went. And all the big sharks with them. I'm after the big drum this weekend in the Pamlico, tides should be right next week for the pups. See ya'll there.

Hurricane44
09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback Ryan. I see you guys catch a ton of sharks. What do you use for bait? Do you go by the fish markets for fish heads and other scraps or catch something small and use that for bait? Also, I know shark rigs can get crazy, they all need a long portion of wire (10') and about the same amount of heavy mono (300# @ 10') before you get to the reel line. I have a 9/0 packed to the rim with 80# and have seen a bunch of different rigs (480# wire, huge swivel, 12/0 J hook) but what is the best for the sharks off NC beaches? Thanks for your feedback again!

Cheers,
David

Clyde
09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Do a search on here for "pulley rig". That's what Ryan & I use a lot. A beefed up fishfinder works well too. We tend to use heavy mono, no wire, & BIG circle hooks. Crimp 8 inches of 400# mono to a 16/0 mustad circle, swivel at the other end. Use this as a fish finder rig, beef up your shock leader to 80# test, throw 8oz on there and go catch a bluefish or pinfish and you're sharkin'.

Hurricane44
09-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks Clyde for the feedback! So circle hooks are the way to go and heavy mono. I'll search for pulley rig also. Thanks again.

David

uncdub13
09-08-2006, 03:20 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~biters/pullyrig.htm

whocares40
09-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Do not get caught shark fishing
at Wrightsville Beach.
They dont like it very much.

Finger_Mullet
09-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I think UNCdub is tarpon fishing, not shark fishing. Also could be after some really big drum with that setup he uses. ;)

If he catches any sharks it is a by-catch of what he is actually fishing for. :rolleyes:

Mullet

Carolina Rebel
09-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm glad they didn't catch me floating half-kings (cuda bite offs) under balloons out there earlier this summer.