Coming to Frisco [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Coming to Frisco

joe l.
08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Vacation time is almost here! We'll be staying in Frisco the week of Sept 2 through the 9th. I'll be right by Frisco Pier, so I definitely plan on doing some fishing there, but was curious about what the surf would be like around there, and what methods might be best for that area/time of the year.

I have a a few "goals" for fishing this year. One is some pompano from the surf, next is a red from the surf, and the big goal is for a decent shark (wanting to target 3 foot minimum - all I've caught so far are small guys up to 24 inches) from the surf. I figure odds are fair for the pomps and reds - what about the shark? Can I do this casting for the beach, or does it have to be yakked out? I see lots of sharks being caught, but wonder what the conditions are to do this.

My set ups are (I think these cover the bases for what I'll need):

1) 7 foot Penn rod w/Penn Powergraph reel, 12 lb test
2) 11 foot Penn BigGame surf rod (2-6 oz) with Penn 320 reel, 20 lb test
3) 12 foot Cabelas heavy surf rod (up to 8 oz) ith SS80 reel, also 20lb test

Anyone have any suggestions for success?

Thanks,

joe

YakAttack
08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Joe, I asked the same question about sharks from the surf, and have been told to try the hook (follow the beach southwest from the point)

If you go to http://local.live.com/ and do a search for Hatteras, then go to Aerial view (defaults to Road view in the navigator tool), you can zoom in and see satellite imagery of the area. If you haven't used this tool, it's pretty cool, check it out.

Anyway, from the satellite pic you can see how the point "hooks" back inland. I think thats the spot they're talking about.

Cheers.

- Luther

YakAttack
08-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah, and please post back here and let us know how it goes. Me and some buds will be down there Sept 7 - 12, so it would be great to hear of any hot spots you find.

My son and I are headed down there this weekend (Aug 25 - 27) and I'll be sure to do the same. So check back Monday and see how we did!

Cheers.

- Luther

Drumdum
08-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Vacation time is almost here! We'll be staying in Frisco the week of Sept 2 through the 9th. I'll be right by Frisco Pier, so I definitely plan on doing some fishing there, but was curious about what the surf would be like around there, and what methods might be best for that area/time of the year.

I have a a few "goals" for fishing this year. One is some pompano from the surf, next is a red from the surf, and the big goal is for a decent shark (wanting to target 3 foot minimum - all I've caught so far are small guys up to 24 inches) from the surf. I figure odds are fair for the pomps and reds - what about the shark? Can I do this casting for the beach, or does it have to be yakked out? I see lots of sharks being caught, but wonder what the conditions are to do this.

My set ups are (I think these cover the bases for what I'll need):

1) 7 foot Penn rod w/Penn Powergraph reel, 12 lb test
2) 11 foot Penn BigGame surf rod (2-6 oz) with Penn 320 reel, 20 lb test
3) 12 foot Cabelas heavy surf rod (up to 8 oz) ith SS80 reel, also 20lb test

Anyone have any suggestions for success?

Thanks,

joe

The chances for the shark are excellent,as well as the pompano.. You don't neccessarily have to yak a bait out to catch a nice shark,many times they can be caught in the first slough.. There have been sharks at Hatteras Inlet,Hatteras spit,Buxton Point and the hook.. The heavy surfrods should handle a shark of 3' or better. I have pulled in sharks up to 9' with rigs like that fishing for drum,so it can be done.. As far as a big drum,IMO you're a little early,although it can happen.. Should be some pups around as well as a possible yrling,either at the point or the inlet,soundside at Hatteras has possibilities as well..

joe l.
08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the replies - they'll be helpful once I'm down there.

Thanks again Drumdum, for answering my stuff here, as well as in the PM i sent eariler :)

I'm not even worried about the big drum, a puppy drum would be great. I've only been surf fishing a few years - and I'm trying to just catch various species. I haven't managed to catch a red drum yet at all - so, any one, no matter of the size will be good. Of course, I wouldn't turn down a shot at a big-un! :D

I'm getting pretty stoked about this trip, as I haven't been in the Banks for a few years now. It'll be good to come back!

I'll be sure to relay any locations that work well for me after I return, and hopefully I'll have some decent pics to post.

joe

jdroat
08-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Joe I., also staying in Frisco the same week. We got a house on the canal at Palmetto Dr. Going to fish and crab there, but want to try surf fishing too. Maybe I will see you out there. I have a goatee and a gecko tatoo on my left arm. If you see me say heloo bro.

joe l.
08-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Will do jdroat! SO - looks like it'll be a few PA boys in Frisco, I'm from Pittsburgh.

I'm chomping at the bit this week, can't wait to get down there. Hoping right now that the storms hold off - I heard there's another tropical depression that's formed. I haven't seen exactly where it is though - I'm crossing my fingers it won't be heading towards Frisco.

Anyone notice where it is? Any chance it'll come near the Banks?

On the fishing side of things, the Sportsman's Warehouse by me today actually yielded a few surprises. I found some of the Berkely Gulp saltwater series there. Got some Gulp peeler crabs to try, and some Gulp sandfleas (1/2 inch and 1 inch). Anyone try these yet? Since I'm shooting for some Pompano, I'm hoping the sandfleas work well.

Wheatland_Whilly
08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
had even a nibble on the fleas...the "new penney" shrimp..and the green ones work great though. If its pomps yer after, try this: size8 gami circle hook snelled with 30# test..three red beads a size 1 clevis w/ a 0 size colorado blade(gold color)..a pair of these on a standard bottom rig baited with peeled shrimp will get you pomps, croaker, and sea monkeys.

Wheat

buggman 50
08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Was down at buxton week before last,caught several pompano south of the point during the entire week.Used shrimp and bloodworm fishbites.Good luck.lots of good size croaker,spot, and mullet.

jdroat
08-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Joe L... I am about 5 hours west of you in the center of the state. Near Bucknell U and 45 miles west off Penn STate U. A little town called New Berlin. I have been looking at the storms, looks like the 1st one won't be a problem, but the next on is expected to be a hurricane, but last I heard they thinnk it will go to the Gulf. Lets hope it dosn't come to Frisco. Been counting the days too and that would suck if we get evacuated:mad: . Hoope to see ya on the beach

joe l.
08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Which is expected to go hurricane? Ernesto? That one looks like it is headed to the Gulf. Debby is in the mid-Atlantic right now, but looks to be swinging well north.

I know where New Berlin is. My parents are from central PA - Gallitzin (near Altoona). I used to do a fair amount of trout fishing out that way. Now with 2 kids, that doesn't happen much.

I'm really looking forward to hitting Frisco. I just got into surf fishing a few years ago, and basically only get to go maybe twice a year (usually an early summer 3 day-weekend trip to Cape May, NJ - then a late summer trip to the Carolinas).

Of course, being that close to the Point, I'll have to at least try fishing there as well, right? :D

Thanks to all for the replies and tips/reports. They are very much appreciated!

jdroat
08-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Joe, cool not many people know New Berlin:) . I too am new to surf fishing. Only ever did it 15 or more years ago in OC, MD. CAught a few sand sharks and skates but I was young and really unexperienced. Hell still am. I only have a large action 6' rod with 15 lb test I use in the Susquahanna River for catfish, but if I can cast 50', what the heck maybe me and the boy can catch a small croaker or pomp. It still beats working:). Have a blast and hope to swap reports here with you anfd everyone else.

POMPINOLOVER
08-27-2006, 05:06 AM
I wouldnt Use the gulp sandfleas... only because you will easily be able to catch the live ones with no problem right in the wash ...