Emerald Isle report 8/5-8/12 2006 [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Emerald Isle report 8/5-8/12 2006

1BadF350
08-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Our house was bayside at 17th St. near milepost 14 or 14.5 I can't remember which.

First night I fished the bayside for an hour or so and caught a few croaker, a black drum, and some weird fish that was the color of a pompano but had a pronounced black spot on its gill plates.

As far as the surf fishing goes, we did catch a good mix. We were using cut frozen finger mullet and FishBites fake bloodworm stuff. We decided on just using small Spot/Kingfish rigs since the hooks were small and increased our chances of catching the small bastards that pick off your bait.

Mostly we caught small sand sharks about 12"-15" long. The snapper blues were there too but not too many early in the week.

Monday we caught a few small Pompano, Spot, sand sharks, snapper blues, and my GF caught what was probably the biggest croaker I've ever seen at 16" long.

On Tuesday 8/8 I hooked something huge that solicited a collective "OH Sh*t!!" from everyone when I jumped out of my chair after seeing my rod bend in half. The fish took me about 400 yards down the beach before the leader broke. I wasn't surprised since I was only using a spot/kingfish rig. We also caught the usual sand sharks, small snapper blues, and one small flounder.

Tuesday night my GF caught a small stingray that was about 14" across the top. She was excited about it and it was neat to watch her catch it. The rest of the evening was one sand shark after the other.

Wednesday we had a big Spot run in the afternoon with double hookups using FishBites fake bloodwoorm stuff. This lasted about 40 minutes and we had 20 in the cooler for bait. Then shark, shark, shark, etc.

Thursday was very slow. We may have had a shark or two.

Friday morning I went out to be greeted by a bluefish feeding frenzy that lasted about an hour. We caught one right after the other up to 18". The baitfish were being herded right up to the beach almost and the blues were just blitzing the hell out of them on the surface. It was a great morning since I had grown tired of catching sand sharks.

Saturday it was raining in the AM and we needed to check out of our house anyway so we did not fish.

On a side note I did see a big shark breach the water about 200 yards offshore. Looked to be a 3-4 foot blacktip. It was cool, he did a barrel roll in mid-air.

Overall I had a great time. The frozen finger mullet didn't stay on the hook too well. It immediatly became mushy and disintigrated off the hook. The fresh cut Spot was much better.

Singletjeff
08-15-2006, 10:40 AM
On a side note I did see a big shark breach the water about 200 yards offshore. Looked to be a 3-4 foot blacktip. It was cool, he did a barrel roll in mid-air.

Jumping and spinning????? Sounds more like a Spinner Shark than a blacktip. They look VERY similar too

1BadF350
08-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Whatever it was, it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.:D Thanks Jeff.

Singletjeff
08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, they are defenitely fun to watch.....You should watch one hit a King Rig at the end of a pier sometime....Defenite acrobats.... Here's a link that will tell you the main differences between the two
http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=492

EugeneChoe
08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
abadf350. i see you live in md. i went to the emerald isle when i was a kid, loved it since. saddly i havent been back. anyways javi a friend of mine just got back from there and i got thinkin that i wanted to get a house for a week there. did you rent? ive looked emerald isle up on google, you dont get too much info. would you happen to have sum info.

RuddeDogg
08-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Sounds like ya had a great time.

Jesse Lockowitz
08-26-2006, 06:44 PM
abadf350. i see you live in md. i went to the emerald isle when i was a kid, loved it since. saddly i havent been back. anyways javi a friend of mine just got back from there and i got thinkin that i wanted to get a house for a week there. did you rent? ive looked emerald isle up on google, you dont get too much info. would you happen to have sum info.

bluewater realty is good to rent from. u can google "bluewater realty emerald isle, NC" and u will get their site. they have MANY rentals, and prices always go down AFTER labor day

Jesse

1BadF350
08-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Eugene, I really don't know. We stayed in a family friends house.

EugeneChoe
08-28-2006, 06:57 PM
thanks guys!!