Topsail Which Rod [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Topsail Which Rod

creek
08-08-2006, 08:31 AM
I am spending two days at Topsail next week as part of a trip North. This this is more of a vist trip than a fishing trip I only want to take one rod. I am assuming that my 11'6" heaver is out. I have a 10' Tica with a 525 mag mounted on it and a 11' predator rod with a 6500 Abu. I also have several spinning rods starting at 9' down to 7'. I have never been to TS so looking for advise as to what rod to take for this time of year.

Castnetter
08-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Well i never fish at Topsail, but for any saltwater fishing in NC i would take a 9 or 8 footer. You would be able to throw bait for bottom feeders, and metal for blues and spanish. This would work on a pier and in the surf. just my opinion

creek
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
bump :D

Topsailbum
08-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Either that you mentioned will work fine, depends on what youre fishing for, Cast neetr has a good point

FishRung
08-11-2006, 11:40 PM
I fish TS quite often, mainly from the beach. Best location IMHO is the south point. Lots of variation in the bottom, with many holes. Drum are a common catch there. Be prepared to cast anywhere from 20ft to as far as you can. However, its a hike from the last public access - about a half mile. I can't speak for the north end, which I believe was washed out a couple of years back.

If you're fishing one of the main beaches there's a slough which holds fish on the up and down tides and beyond that a bar. At low tide you can get beyond the bar with a 9' and longer. At high tide you need 10' minimum. I use Abu 5500 & 6500 for 9' and 6500 or SL30SHV for 10' and longer. 14lb mainline and 40lb leader and a pulley rig is my preference when casting long. Otherwise a double dropper. A 4oz pyramid or breakaway will hold bottom when the tide is running along the beach.

I find the down and low tide to be most productive, but there're fish around at all stages.

This time of year Sand Fleas are plentiful at most stages of the tide and good for most bottom fish - and you can catch enough by hand if you don't have a rake; shrimp works well as do BW Fish Bites. For larger fish I use cut bait. If Bluefish or Spanish are about, best place is one of the piers. I've rarely seen them close enough to the sand for metal. I've seen Kings, Cobia, Tarpon & shark on pinrigs from the ends of the piers and I read that there's a regular crowd of friendly folk to help you if you're new to pinrigging, particularly on the Jolly Roger, which is 6 miles south of Surf City.

I have had shark on bottom fished cut bait from the JR at the end of the day and a number of biteoffs, so they're there.

There's a wide variety of fish around this time of year, although it really takes off in about a 4-6 weeks when the bait fish flood out of the intracoastal. As with anywhere else, you can get skunked, but study the beach at low tide, vary your approach (distance, bait, depth) and you should catch.

Good luck ...