Fort Fisher [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Fort Fisher

troutslayer
08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
HOLY CRAP......Did a blacktip get away on us today......We were yakin out baits for about 3 hrs with a couple of bites that we didnt feel...until WHAM this moster got a hold of a bitten in half mullet. It ran like hell then we set the hook and this thing jumped out the water about 5 ft in the air. This shark had to be as big as the kayak. When we reeled in what was left of the rig...this beauty had straightend out a 8/0 hook. But thats what you get when u buy a crappy shark rig from Island.......See u out there...troutslayer

Drumdum
08-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Could also have been a spinner shark,those things can flat tear up some tackle...

uncdub13
08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
we were down there this afternoon from about 4 til 8:30. had plenty of action and aerial displays but we didnt bring our A games:rolleyes: . did manage to put a couple on the beach, but it should have been a lot more. most of the action was on the kayaked baits but i had one nice one on a casted bait give me 5 or 6 jumps before biting off 300 lb mono...doesnt happen to me very much. still gonna stick with the mono instead of wire because i think the heavy mono gets more bites. probly will hit it up again tomorrow but might stay here at wrightsville and fish at night instead...full moooooon!:p

Ryan Y
08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
[/U][/U]
Could also have been a spinner shark,those things can flat tear up some tackle...

We've had an unbelievable amount of Black Tip aerials out here lately. It's been awesome to see some of the air these things get when hooked up here. It seems as if everytime one gets airborn, our first thought is a spinner, but we havn't gotten one yet.

Ryan

bstarling
08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
What tide stage are the spinners coming in on? Is it tide or time of day?

Bill

Ryan Y
08-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I havn't seen or caught any spinners yet this year, theve all been black tips and one sand bar shark. tide really hasnt seemed to matter as much as time of day....Evening.
Ryan

bstarling
08-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Went down there today and got blown out by the wind. 8oz was like a cork in the wash. I've not seen more current even at Hatteras. Oh well, I guess there is next time.

Bill