Best Bait at OI Catwalk [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Best Bait at OI Catwalk

GoneFish'n
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I fished the Oregon Inlet catwalk last Sunday, and lost about a hundred very large sand fleas to the bait stealing fish along the pilings. Just as I was leaving, I witnessed several individuals heading home with stringers of sheephead up to about 8 lbs and black drum up to around 12 lbs. Between 4 stringers, there was easily over 100 lbs of fish. They apparently were fishing down off the pilings near the far end of the catwalk. When asked, they refused to tell me what they were using for bait and on what type of rig or size of hook. Is there anyone out there who wouldn't mind sharing some of the secrets to catching fish and not simply feeding them???

Thanks in advance.

Drumdum
07-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Use a small livebait hook,regular dropper loop rig tied with mono,and fleas or fidlercrabs.. I use braid to better feel the strikes.. That's the way I've always fished for em,but I'm sure there are many techniques,especially for those that target them regularly.. It could be WHERE they were fishing even more so than what with or how.. They can be on just one set of pilings,and the other pilings have 0... Sheepshead can bite so quick and be gone so quick it would stun ya..

wizardude
07-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Sheepshead can bite so quick and be gone so quick it would stun ya..

Learned about them real quick living in Florida for some years... only fish I know, ya gotta set the hook before they bite :D

OBX Rookie
07-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I was fishin off Radanthe pier once on a summer vacation, a few folks were bringing them up one after another, me, I was just feeding them and good I might add. Had two youngsters bringing me sand crabs as fast as they could dig them up, it was just another sad moment after another, bait up, drop it in the water, bump and start all over again. Think I need some more practice on them thieves. :(

malcdncva
07-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Learned about them real quick living in Florida for some years... only fish I know, ya gotta set the hook before they bite :D

I keep reading that those fish are the king of bait thieves. Do they tend to grab the bait and turn while spitting the shells (assumming they are eating a crab and don't eat the shell), or do they nip the edge of the bait and essentially pull the bait from the hook (I understand that they often feed on barnacles, which would explain the latter situation, and make it even more fantastic that anyone even hooks them)? If it is the former behavior (grab and turn while spitting shells) do you think circle hooks would make for a better hit to hook-up ratio? Just curious.

malcdncva
07-31-2006, 11:52 PM

I keep reading that those fish are the king of bait thieves. Do they tend to grab the bait and turn while spitting the shells (assumming they are eating a crab and don't eat the shell), or do they nip the edge of the bait and essentially pull the bait from the hook (I understand that they often feed on barnacles, which would explain the latter situation, and make it even more fantastic that anyone even hooks them)? If it is the former behavior (grab and turn while spitting shells) do you think circle hooks (smaller ones hidden as completely as possible in the bait) would make for a better hit to hook-up ratio? Just curious.

Drumdum
08-01-2006, 05:44 AM
I keep reading that those fish are the king of bait thieves. Do they tend to grab the bait and turn while spitting the shells (assumming they are eating a crab and don't eat the shell), or do they nip the edge of the bait and essentially pull the bait from the hook (I understand that they often feed on barnacles, which would explain the latter situation, and make it even more fantastic that anyone even hooks them)? If it is the former behavior (grab and turn while spitting shells) do you think circle hooks (smaller ones hidden as completely as possible in the bait) would make for a better hit to hook-up ratio? Just curious.

I think the best way to see how a fish feeds is to watch them in an aquarium.. I've watched drum and cobia in an aquarium,both suckup the entire bait,scales shoot out the gills,then the rest,if any is jetted out.. Not sure about these guys,never seen one in action,but I don't recall bringing a sandflea up with just a bite taken out like a bluefish would.. You would think those "goatteeth" they have in thier mouth would leave a mark if they were just nippin... :D