Details on FWS Critical Habitat Designation [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Details on FWS Critical Habitat Designation

for access
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't post attachments so here is a link to my comment. Tells the whole story and will give resources to anyone who wants to get involved.

http://www.reddrumtackle.com/forums/...&threadid=7558

for access
07-27-2006, 03:26 PM
:mad: extremely disappointed to see that you forward the below email to USFWS at [email protected] If you read the note that accompanied my comment you will see that the attached document is more than a comment regarding the recent amended critical habitat designation. More specifically,

"In addition to commenting on the proposed rule, the document requests that your office take specific actions with regard to the management of the Raleigh Office of the Fish and Wildlife."

I would hope that someone in your office would at least read the attached document before passing the buck.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected] ; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected] ; Mike Murray ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; rpombo
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:18 PM
Subject: Comment/Request for intervention-- Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Amended Designation of Critical Habitat for the Wintering Population of the Piping Plover, Fish and Wildlife Service, Raliegh Office, 50 CFR Part 17, RIN 1018-AU48, 6/12/06

Please find attached my comments regarding the Fish and Wildlife, Raleigh Office's Amended Designation of Critical Habitat for the Wintering Population of the Piping Plover. In addition to commenting on the proposed rule, the document requests that your office take specific actions with regard to the management of the Raleigh Office of the Fish and Wildlife.

I am submitting this via email because your web site comment form will not accommodate either formatted text or attachments and you do not provide a fax number. I will follow up via US Mail.

for access
07-27-2006, 03:27 PM
:mad: telling me where to submit my comment. Their email and my reply are copied below.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Comment/Request for intervention-- Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Amended Designation of Critical Habitat for the Wintering Population of the Piping Plover, Fish and Wildlife Service, Raliegh Office, 50 CFR Part 17, RIN 1018-AU48, 6/12/06 (Virus checked)

Ms. Luizer,

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. We appreciate your interest in and concern for wildlife and the environment. To comment on the proposal to redesignate critical habitat for the wintering population of the piping plover, please address your e-mail to <[email protected]> or fax the comment to 919/856-4556. Comments must be received before close of business on August 11, 2006.

Regards,

Customer Service Center - Tier II
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

If you have any further questions, you may prefer to contact us by telephone,
we encourage you to call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-344-WILD,
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm eastern time.

Let us know how we are doing. Please send us a message by visiting...
http://www.fws.gov/duspit/letusknow.htm

************MY REPLY

I have submitted my comment via fax. If you read my letter addressed to the DOI, however, you will see that my concerns extend beyond the critical habitat proposal and include, among other things, the Raleigh Office's failure to issue the letter of concurrence required for the NPS to implement their biological assessment.

Quite simply, I am asking that someone with authority over the Raleigh Office look into their activities and exercise supervisory duties. As near as I can tell, the offices with authority over the Raleigh Office include, the SE Regional Director of the USFWS, you as Director of the USFWS, and the DOI. Each of these offices have been included in the copy list.