cast net [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : cast net

mttomb
07-24-2006, 10:30 PM
do you have to have any special permits to use a cast net to get bait on the surf or on the sound?

Jesse Lockowitz
07-24-2006, 11:21 PM
nope, but sportfish regulations apply. flounder etc.

Jesse

Drumdum
07-25-2006, 06:13 AM
If you are catching "striped mullet",the common variety of mullet here,you are not allowed more than one hundred.. If you have more than one hundred in pocession,you will get a ticket...

mttomb
07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks, When doing it from the surf do you go out just past the breakers to throw it?

justinfisch01
07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
no actually if you go about knee deep you can get a lot of bait, I have had it so thick that I will pick and choose which one I use, I will catch a whole school about 50 but they might be a little on the small size so I will let them go until I can find the right size I am looking for, Definitly a lot of bait in front of the breakers, but then again it depends on the time of the year and area you are fishing. Give it a try and see what you get. If you don't see any bait, try blind casting into the wash. There is always somethin there

Ryan Y
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I was at the point back at the beggining of June or end of May. Rob (the General) yelled at me about the Menhaden stuck inside the hook. I waded out to cast, in about stomach deep water. I had to have help dragging the net back to the beach over my shoulder. I had enough pogies in my net (7 foot) to load not only my 5 gallon bucket, but about everyones as well. Luck would have it that Rob was about the first to cut one up and get it into the water. As he set the rod in the holder, it took off screaming...94 lb cobia!

Castnetter
07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
and if you can't find anything in the ocean, try the sound, a lot of finger mullet normally, and always some killies.