sand tigers at outer banks pier??? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : sand tigers at outer banks pier???

JayCamx23
07-15-2006, 06:34 PM
what is with these sand tigers showing up at outer banks pier? last week when i was there i caught a small one 2-3ft. but there was one 8ft+ hooked and brought to pier side one night where it broke off on a piling. later that night a 6ft sand tiger was brought to the beach by someone. and a few nights later there was a BIG one hooked that came in dead, probably gut-hooked. based on the head it was atleast 7ft. my question is are they this common every year from the piers??? and what have you guys heard about them if anything??

Drumdum
07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Sandtigers will be there when they are there,not usually in July,but anything is possible.. As far as catching,are you saying that the guy kept one?? If so he is violating the law that protects those critters in NC....

JayCamx23
08-15-2006, 03:09 AM
dont know if he kept it. i do know that he couldnt get it up onto the pier so he walked it to the beach and by the time the shark was there it was nearly dead. he also didnt have any idea what to do with it. i left so i dont know what actually happened

Drumdum
08-15-2006, 07:11 AM
We usually are set up with drumrigs and mono on the planks,so when we hook a big "garbo"(as we callem) he will usually cut the leader himself with those jagged teeth.. If they get reeled up to the pier,we usually put the "heat" on and break them off if too big to get up and pull the hook out.. These are magnificent critters,and glad to hear more are being seen..

Ryan Y
08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Maybe Im confused, but I thought Tiger Sharks were illeagle to keep. Sand Tigers, or "sand Bar sharks" are different arent they? Just wondering...
Ryan

Singletjeff
08-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Huge difference between the Sand Tiger, Sandbar and Tiger. Tiger Sharks and Sandbars are legal to keep over 54" if I remember correctly. The Sand Tigers must be released

narfpoit
08-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Tigers and Sand tigers are two different species.

on the NCDMF website it list which sharks you can and cannot take.
Legal sharks include: sandbar, silky, tiger, blacktip, spinner, lemon, bull, nurse, smooth and scalloped and great hammerhead, blacknose, finetooth, bonnethead, shortfin mako, blue, thresher, porbeagle, and oceanic whitetip. One (1) Atlantic sharpnose (no minimum size) and one bonnethead (no minimum size) per person per trip may be landed in addition to allowable bag limits for other sharks.

Prohibited sharks in coastal waters include: basking, white, sand tiger, and whale. Sharks in EEZ (3 miles out) include; (whale, basking, white, sand tiger, bigeye sand tiger, Atlantic angel shark, bigeye sixgill, bigeye thresher, bignose, Caribbean reef, Caribbean sharpnose, dusky, Galapogos, longfin mako, narrowtooth, night, sevengill, sixgill, and smalltail),

The easiest way to tell the two apart is by there teeth. Sand tigers have a mouth full of wicked looking teeth that point out of their mouth for snatching small fish. Tigersharks have uniform rows of sawlike teeth for cutting chunks out of big prey.

And the Sandbar shark is another completely different species. snout broadly rounded and short; first dorsal fin triangular and very high; poorly developed dermal ridge between dorsal fins; brown or gray in color with white underside; upper and lower teeth finely serrated.

hope that helps.

John

Drumdum
08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Maybe Im confused, but I thought Tiger Sharks were illeagle to keep. Sand Tigers, or "sand Bar sharks" are different arent they? Just wondering...
Ryan

You be pullin on somebody's chain,Ryan??:rolleyes: :D :p