Pier Tarpon!!! [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Pier Tarpon!!!

pier-legend
07-08-2006, 07:33 PM
..well the old Jolly Roger Pier reports an 80 lb. Tarpon landed friday evening/nite...7-7-06....seems the angler was the "only" one fishing that Northeast wind/full moon stage...called for some help, and they landed it after dark...
...way to go pier jockey!!!..I love em!!!
..bet there were more folks fishing today!!!:D

Topsailbum
07-08-2006, 07:59 PM
PL , who landed the thing , or do ya know?

pier-legend
07-08-2006, 08:20 PM
....the name I was given was "Jason"..seems to be a new fisherman there....
..I don't fish there anymore but my best buddy is "Chris" who gives me all the Jolly Roger news...
.."chris" is the the fellow that landed 2 Tarpon on Jollys last year..you might know who I'm talking about....
..I also got a report that Johnnie Mercers pier got their 1st king today..7-8....

Drumdum
07-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the report,PL..

First king?? Man,pier kingin has gone to the dogs.. I can remember 77 we caught kings off Frisco in April..:rolleyes:

fishrulemylife
07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Jason's been fishing out there for a while on and off, now he's there just about every weekend. I got a picture of it I'll get it on here soon. 80#, 6.5 ft, 38" girth.

We saw a bunch more tarpon on Sat and I'm pretty sure there were a couple rolling about 2 ft deep between our anchor lines on Sunday. We also saw some nice sized Spanish both days but all they wanted to do was chase our bait not eat it. There were sheephead around but none hooked and on Sun one man landed a 5# trout and another guy about a 1.5# mullet. Lots of grass shad and alewives for bait along with some candybar blues.

Sat and Sun there were kings caught from Johnny Mercer Pier and on Mon or Tues there was one caught on Surf City Pier. And menhaden every where.

Still debating if I wanna make the journey down this weekend, conditions aren't really looking the greatest as of right now.

Topsailbum
07-14-2006, 11:10 PM
DAVE ,
I'll be down late on the 19th thru 21st . Mikes coming too i think. Hope ya can make it

king&strut
07-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Will be there the 19'th through the 25'th. Will be bringing the heavy artillery.....

RuddeDogg
07-15-2006, 02:19 PM
A nice fish there.

fishrulemylife
07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Sorry buds,,,,I'm done fishing until the fall. The wifes only got 4 weeks to go until little Joshua David is born, so I'm gonna hang it up for a couple months. I went down on Saturday the 15th and Joey caught a few nice size spinner sharks, but that was all for the weekend. Reports are that the water is looking really pretty right now so I hope ya'll get a king or tarpon while your down there. Best of luck and I'll definitely see you for the fall run.

Here's the picture of Jasons tarpon.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/asugrue/JasonTarpon.jpg

blindhog
07-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I went down to Jolly Roger and fished wed. There were no bait to be had only pin fish . I did get a third time around blue from Depeola . He had got it from another fisherman that left earlier in the day . There were some big Sheepshead around the pilings and there were large trout in the surf . The water was Gin clear . This one guy was trowing a Zara Spook walking the dog and the trout would follow it back to the pier but would not strike. I was going to come back the next day with some live srimp but I came down with an ear and sinus infection which cut short my trip.Will try to come down later this week. Sure do hope those trout hang around untill then . PS: there were Mullet in the surf haeding north.

RuddeDogg
07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
That fish is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!

Hey fishrulemylife, Congrats on the upcoming arrival.

Topsailbum
07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Dave keep us posted!
Lebarron dude how are the sinuses?