September fishing [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : September fishing

AndyMc
06-27-2006, 05:58 PM
We going to Hatteras in Spetember/October to camp and surf fish. Four of us are heading down and we'll be camping for four nights. We have some flexibility on when we go. What would you suggest for the best time? What is the hot fish in the fall?

Drumdum
06-27-2006, 07:02 PM
IMO,pick the full moon or new moon phase of Oct.. The storms,aren't totally finished by then,but Sept gives you a better chance of arrival with a cane nearby.. Drum,and all kinds of bottom fish like spot and seamullet... That's my favorite time of the yr...

joe l.
06-28-2006, 01:10 AM
glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this far ahead to vacation time! We're also coming to Frisco in Sept. (Sept. 2-9). Our house is right behind the Frisco pier. To say I'm excited is an understatement! Haven't been to the Banks since 1997... and honestly have missed the place!

Keeping the fingers crossed that storms are to a minimum. My goals for fishing this year (I've only been at surf fishing for maybe 4 years now - and being from PA, only go about twice a year) are pompano from the surf, a nice red drum, and my big goal is a decent shark (anything over 36"). The blues and sea mullet have been nice - just looking for something new.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well Andy - here's to storm-free trips and good fishin!:D

Drumdum
06-28-2006, 05:25 AM
glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this far ahead to vacation time! We're also coming to Frisco in Sept. (Sept. 2-9). Our house is right behind the Frisco pier. To say I'm excited is an understatement! Haven't been to the Banks since 1997... and honestly have missed the place!

Keeping the fingers crossed that storms are to a minimum. My goals for fishing this year (I've only been at surf fishing for maybe 4 years now - and being from PA, only go about twice a year) are pompano from the surf, a nice red drum, and my big goal is a decent shark (anything over 36"). The blues and sea mullet have been nice - just looking for something new.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well Andy - here's to storm-free trips and good fishin!:D

Right behind Frisco Pier.. If you have semi-heavy tackle,go out on the pier just after dark and fish till they close with cut bait on fishfinder rig,you should tie into some sharks..

AndyMc
06-29-2006, 01:08 PM
It looks like October 7 is the full moon. That would work great for us.

narfpoit
06-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Remember NPS campgrounds season ends on 10/9/06 this year, so if you plan on using them then be sure to get in before then otherwise you will have to see if there is a private campground that is open then. Or you could camp 2 days and stay at DD's for 2 days if he isnt alread booked. The 9th is also a columbus day, this is usually when I come down because I am off work for the holiday. Anyway I hope that helps.

John