Which Braid ? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Which Braid ?

flathead
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
If you target spanish,specks,and possibly stripers with the same spinning reels, what pound test/diameter would you use. Or,which is better,the 14/6 or the 20/8 ? I'm thinking :rolleyes: of switching my spinners(BG-15s) from Stren Extra Strength 8# test to braid this year.The Stren Extra Strength 8# test breaks at 15# so I've never worried about possibly latching onto a big sissy fish.

Also,what's the preference regarding color ? Flame/HiVis green or smoke ?

RiverOtter
06-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I use 20/8 Powerpro on my rods that I fish for stripers/blues/anything that I'm throwing metal for. It's thin enough that you still get the distance and action of the metal and all the other benefits of braid, but having that extra breaking strength as insurance is certainly a good feeling.

jay b
06-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I've tried them all and PowerPro is my choice as well. 20/8 for all my medidum to larger spinners that I use to toss lures and 8 lb. supermono for the Trout rods because the action seems better with smaller lures. I like the green/moss or smoke colors for the NonVis reason.

Hawk
06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
#14 Fireline for me Frank.
A little stiff at the start, but softens up well after some use.

Puppy Mullet
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
#14 Fireline for me Frank.
A little stiff at the start, but softens up well after some use.

Same here..
Whatever ya go with, put it on TIGHT. I bind it up in a rag when spooling.

RuddeDogg
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
i got rid of my porwer pro and went to the new suffix braid. 10x better.

Elkhunter
06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
14# Fireline Smoke. Kenny sold me on the stuff a few years back..... Been using it ever since come to think of it got to replace it now after 3+ years :D

TUMBLEYAK
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I use 20/8 Power Pro for exactly what you mentioned. Works great and will cast forever....just don't cast directly into the wind or you will be removing several yards via knife. also make sure you close the bail on your spinner by hand.

good luck

MacPE6
06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
I used PP for a long time and this year I tried the new suffix braid. For me the suffix is the ticket now. It is smoother and does not get the line wips, and I manually flip the bail back each time prior to starting the retieve. I use it only on my spinners in top and have it as a filler on a copule of my conv. reels.

Drumdum
06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Frank,I use the 8-20lb fireline for stripers,drum,cobes,and the 6-14 for specks,alberts and such.. I believe the 14 would be fine though for all those purposes..I just like the 20 because of the added "heat" you can put on a drum or cobe with it,when needed..

Haven't tried any other braids,so I'm not going to say fireline is better. All I know is I've been using it since it first hit the market,and have had no complaints..

Fishman
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Power pro all the way because thats all I've ever used. :D

Finger_Mullet
06-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Why do you have to manually flip the bail using braid on a spinner?

Mullet

jay b
06-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Mullet that's probably the best tip out there for using braid but in addition to that make sure when you flip the bail you also pull the line tight on the spool. It helps eliminate spool knots by keeping the line tight on the spool. In my past experience braid will flip a loop off the bottom of the spool rather easily if you don't keep it tight which means not only are you stuck trying to dig it out but usually you lose a few yards of line after getting pi$$ed off and just cutting it out. :mad:

Finger_Mullet
06-08-2006, 02:50 PM
So you manually flip the bail to keep the line tight? I should get it right in a minute. Just to clarify.

Clyde
06-08-2006, 03:22 PM
If you don't manually flop the bail, a lot of times the line will lay across the top of the spool on the first rotation. You won't even notice it most of the time, until you're next cast. If the line is on top of the spool, when you cast the next time you'll get the mother of all wind knots. Flip the bail manually, tug the line a little, and proceed as normal. After you do it a couple of hundred times it becomes second nature, kinda like leveling the line on the spool of a non level wind reel.

jay b
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
yeah, what he said...........:D

Finger_Mullet
06-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification!!!

Hawk
06-08-2006, 04:47 PM
After you do it a couple of hundred times it becomes second nature.

I "feather" the line towards the end of the cast with my index finger. Didn't even notice it until last weekend when a buddy asked me why I didn't get those "loops" in my line like he did.
I also will drag my index finger a little as I start to wind in, until the slack is out.

jay b
06-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Whatever works for you as long as it's tight on the spool before you start cranking. ;)

scwunc
06-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I really like the suffix performance braid a lot more than the stren super braid. It's a bit more expensive but the treatment they put on the fibers makes it cast a little better and much more resistant to tangles. The performance braid will stand on end just like mono instead of falling limp like most thread and most other braids. I've had no more trouble with the performance braid than mono; the stren super braid kept tangling with loose line in the bail and does require you to manually tighten/flip the bail before retreiving.