Pea Island [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Pea Island

newfisherman
05-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Fished today from about 5pm - 8pm caught a ton of skate and then switched over to a yellow and red gotcha plug and slayed about 20 blues. On that topic...how do you fillet blues? I've gutted them and taken off the heads, I am soaking them in a brine right now to remove the blood. They are about 1-2 lbs. I'd appreciate it!
--Sean

NTKG
05-24-2006, 03:09 AM
just fillet them like any other fish. if you want to remove some of the "fishy" taste in blues, just bleed them as soon as you catch them.... catch one, cut, throw him on the beach for a couple of minutes, then throw him on ice.

Drumdum
05-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Cut the middle strip of dark meat out,as well as anyother dark meat you may find in the fillets..

newfisherman
05-24-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah i need to get better at filleting...i got some meat out of them but I think I missed a good amount. I havent filleted a fish in years and when I did it was a big salmon. yeah i bled them as quickly as I could. Drum, I fished the channels on the sound on my kayak like you said and caught a 2-3lb speck...but through him back. If you buy the fish frying breading...can you fry them in a regular old saucepan? or do you have to have a fryer? any other advice on frying these "fish sticks":D up would be appreciated
--sean

Drumdum
05-24-2006, 08:03 PM
yeah i need to get better at filleting...i got some meat out of them but I think I missed a good amount. I havent filleted a fish in years and when I did it was a big salmon. yeah i bled them as quickly as I could. Drum, I fished the channels on the sound on my kayak like you said and caught a 2-3lb speck...but through him back. If you buy the fish frying breading...can you fry them in a regular old saucepan? or do you have to have a fryer? any other advice on frying these "fish sticks":D up would be appreciated
--sean

Sean,if you caught a 2 ta 3lb speck outta your yak,and you didn't bring a few home to fry,ya missed out,promise.. ;) House of Autry is the only brand in my book.. I usually wash the fillets good with water and have the coating in a plastic bag and do the fillets like shake and bake.. Have the greese fairly hot before you put fillets in.. Once the fish starts floating in the greese he's done,drain it good on paper towel.. Yes it will work in regular frying pan.. Specks are good fryed baked or grilled..