New 525 mag help needed [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : New 525 mag help needed

Finger_Mullet
05-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I just bought a 525 mag. I just finished putting line on it and mounting it on a 10' Tica. The reel came with a packet of tools and a tube of oil.

My questions is what do I need to do to this reel before I take it fishing?? I assume I need to lube it?? If so where do I put the lube at?? It doesn't say in the info that came with the reel.

This is my first conv. reel. I have only fished with them in freshwater for bass. I am lost.
I found a post about the spool tension. I tightned it until the spool just moved a little right and left.

I put a 2 oz weight on it a few minutes ago and casted into the darkness. To my surprise it did not backlash. I didn't think it was ever gonna stop. I had the mags turned to max. I have no idea how far it went but it took forever to stop. I almost sh1t. Can;t wait until Friday to see how far it will sling 5 & bait with the mags turned down some.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Mullet

Newsjeff
05-17-2006, 11:48 PM
You really don't need to do anything to that reel out of the box. Just keep the mag setting turned up to 8 for the time being. It's gonna run a lot faster when you start adding more weight.

Check out the link below, espically the post by Black Beard. He helped Penn design the 525mag. Surf Rat's post is on the money, too.

Adding two additonal 3/16" x 1/16" rare earth magnets will make the reel that much more controlable. Don't get the mags from Radio Shack. They rust. Get them from a place like K&J Magnetics.

If you really want to tune her up right, buy the Hatteras Outfitters Mag Conversion kit.

The 525mag is one awsome fishing reel.

https://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18137&highlight=extra+mags+525mag

Ryan Y
05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey, if your in towm tommorow, (wilmington) let me know. Ill show you all about that reel. Ive got four right now and plan on another on....talk to you soon.. Ill be on the beach after noon tommorow....