For the Tourny Participants [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : For the Tourny Participants

fish militia
12-08-2005, 09:55 AM
I need to take this time to thank Mary Helen Goodloe-Murphy for her help in this event and making sure the local community was aware of it..."Thank You"...Rob and Tommy..

Taken from "The Coastland Times" on Dec 8th,2005

" Striper Showdown brings in many pounds "

by Mary Helen Goodloe-Murphy

Some 232 avid anglers cast lines from Coquina Beach to Hatteras Inlet in the first Striper Showdown. The anglers fished in cold, wintry wind, under sunny Saturday skies. They fished all night. Some fished until midnight.

They fished only for Striped Bass. They fished for the largest one.

Organized by the Hatteras Island Fishing Militia and primary sponsor Wheel’s Reels, the tournament drew anglers from 11 states, including fly-ins from California and Texas.

The tournament started at 12:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2. Stripers had to be caught by 6 a.m. Sunday morning.

Tournament headquarters at Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe was packed for the 6 to 8 a.m. weigh-in, the only one. Some 23 Stripers were lugged to the scales.

Capturing first place with the heaviest fish was Jim ``Rodwatcher’’ Perry from Willard. Perry caught his 33.36-pound Striper at 4:30 p.m. Saturday about a half-mile south of Ramp 27. He iced it down in a cooler and poured salt water over it. Perry took home $3,000.

Matt Bright weighed in a 29.76 pound Striper to claim second and $750.

In the combined weight category, Jay Schmitz registered two Stripers totaling 59.98 pounds to claim first place and $3,000. Rusty Hooks came in second with two registering 48.28 pounds.

Creating a lot of fun on Sunday morning were the 63 door prizes from businesses and individuals. The prizes roughly totaled $7,000 in retail value.

Rob Ackerman with the Fishing Militia effusively thanked the participants for taking a chance on a first-time tournament. Ackerman along with Tommy Mitchell and Tommy Wheeler from Wheel’s Reels served as tournament directors. Other primary sponsors included Carhartt, Camp Hatteras, Gamakatsu, Bass Pro, Hatteras Jack, Fish Bites, Pepsi, Ocean Atlantic Rentals and Flying Fish Screen Printing. The National Park Service issued a permit for the tournament and North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries was thanked for assistance.

RuddeDogg
12-08-2005, 10:42 AM
What a tournament....:D :D :D

Big Worm
12-08-2005, 11:30 AM
dogg we got to fish this next year.

RuddeDogg
12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I get all of my time back at the begining of the year. Sounds good to me.

AL_N_VB
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
You Northern Yanks are more than welcome....I know tha Dog 's gonna have tha grill werkin over time!!!!.....

Come on Tourney #2!!!

jerseysalt
12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
this yank and my bud and i will take the motor home down next year.....sounded like a party with lots of good guys and fishin...this year jersey buck opened that monday..got skunked...JS

Shooter
12-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Yall missed a really great get together and lots of fun times and hope each of ya get to make it for next years tourny. I highly recomend bringing your campers and staying at Camp Hatteras, they have a top notch camp ground and besides I need somewhere else for NS4D to blow up thier camper. :--|

AL_N_VB
12-08-2005, 11:09 PM
besides I need somewhere else for NS4D to blow up thier camper. :--|

Man...now now I know what an excorsism feels like....drinkin beers and eatin junk food an fishin hardcore...will make any1's system get irregular.....shoot...what am I talkin about? I wasn't even fishin yet:D Shooter..I promise to re-paint that crapper:D

cobiadude
12-09-2005, 07:22 PM
for those of you who didnt fish it you missed out on great prizes consisting of pro gear reels, sl30hv,inferno blanks and a vouch through hatteras jacks to wrap them free,vacations in the ncbba members houses,charter boat trips avon pier season and weekly passes etc. not to mention the free beer huggies,CARHARTT HOODY with a phat design(props to rob and tommy wheeler) pack of 8/0 gamakatsu hooks .01 cent winding of the new big game line. it was absolutely awesome.i can personally say this was a bad ass tourny and i will be there again next year.and for those that dont go next year or cant make it its gonna have to be huger than this year to be better.I have faith in tommy wheeler and wheels reels inc and rob ALDERMAN with the fish militia can do it

jjaachapa
12-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Dam! If i didn't have to be in Ocean city that weekend. I hope i can make it next year.

OBX Rookie
12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
It was the best tournament I have ever fish in!:D With a 1 in 4 chance to win a door prize in the first annual, think what the chances will be in next year’s tournament with even more venders coming aboard for next year’s event. The Carhartt sweatshirts with the tournament logo will be worn proudly and keep you warm and toasty on the coldest days. I would like to thank all the sponsors for making this event such a success and to the host for all the long hours and hard work you all put into this event.:)

Rodwatcher
12-11-2005, 05:06 PM
It was the best tournament I have ever fish in!:D With a 1 in 4 chance to win a door prize in the first annual, think what the chances will be in next year’s tournament with even more venders coming aboard for next year’s event. The Carhartt sweatshirts with the tournament logo will be worn proudly and keep you warm and toasty on the coldest days. I would like to thank all the sponsors for making this event such a success and to the host for all the long hours and hard work you all put into this event.:)

Can't agree with Jay more, best tourny I've ever fished. Sitting here at the computer with my Carhart sweatshirt on now, getting ready to go back to banks tomorrow. I'll be first in line to get my ticket next year, those that don't, want know what they're missing. Tommy, Rob and all the volunteers know how to put on a tourney. Good job guys.

OBX Rookie
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Can't agree with Jay more, best tourny I've ever fished. Sitting here at the computer with my Carhart sweatshirt on now, getting ready to go back to banks tomorrow. I'll be first in line to get my ticket next year, those that don't, want know what they're missing. Tommy, Rob and all the volunteers know how to put on a tourney. Good job guys.

I am thinking, if you don’t sign up early you might miss out again. I think next years tournament will fill up fast. I will be right behind you RW! RW you going to be around the OBX on the weekend?

Rodwatcher
12-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I am thinking, if you don’t sign up early you might miss out again. I think next years tournament will fill up fast. I will be right behind you RW! RW you going to be around the OBX on the weekend?Goin over tomorrow and will be there till the 18th.