Beach Driving?? [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Beach Driving??

CrawFish
11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I have 2005 4Runner, automatic tramission, fulltime 4x4. I was always told by others that 20psi and leave in Drive gear and drive. I'm new to driving on sand, what are the recommendations? Thanks in advance. btw.. the truck also has a low luck switch.. should I switch to that.

chest2head&glassy
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the 4Runner club. I've had a 92 and still own a 96. Not sure on the 4th generation models (post 2003), but mine have been great in the sand, especially the nasty stuff in OI and parts of the north beaches. I've dropped them down to 18-20 and they're fine. No need to put it in low gearing.

Stay in the grooves, drive slow and you'll be fine.

And buy a tow rope too. So you can help pull out the Chevys, Fords and Nissans (that ones for you Al). :) Just kidding.

CrawFish
11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
cool.. thanks.. I feel much better now.. .. :)

croaker
11-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Some drivers use low 4wd; the reason is that this doesn't work the engine as hard. I have a '91 Jeep and use reg 4wd on firmer sand and low 4wd on loose deep sand like that around OI.

Finger_Mullet
11-28-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a 4wd Toyota Tacoma. It has a weak 4 cylinder in it. I use high 4 on the firmer sand and low 4 on the loose stuff. I just stay in the ruts and take my time. No troubles to date.

If you do start to spin and lose forward motion, quit giving the gas. Most people floor it when they lose traction and end up sitting on the axles. Just stop and put it in reverse and back out of the hole you are in. Get up a little speed and cruise on thru it.

I would take the advice and purchase a snatch rope. They give and make pulling your vehicle out more easier than with a chain.

I have pulled my fathers Yuken XL out many times with my little 4 cylinder Toy Toter! More motor does not mean it will go better. Generally lighter vehicles go better in the sand.

We had a Suzuki Samuri for years that we left at the beach. It would go anywhere in 2wd. We only put it in 4wd when we was pulling someone out. Good beach vehicle until it rusted out. Top speed on the highway was 65. No power at all but scooted around on the sand like a charm.

Good luck! You should have no trouble.

AL_N_VB
11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
I have 2005 4Runner, automatic tramission, fulltime 4x4. I was always told by others that 20psi and leave in Drive gear and drive. I'm new to driving on sand, what are the recommendations? Thanks in advance. btw.. the truck also has a low luck switch.. should I switch to that.

Don't know why ya bought that Toy...when ya shoulda got a man's truck :D ......

ya know my # ,when ya need a tow :D

pumpkinboy
11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
another good thing to carry around is a piece of board to put a jack on if you get a flat. Jack alone will sink into the sand before it lifts the truck. find a hunk of 2x10 and toss it in yer rig

Big Worm
11-28-2005, 06:31 PM
I have the yukon and go down to 17psi. rides like a dream. 4wheel high. Carry a board like pumpkin said as well as the rope. I have a box I carry that has the board, small fold up millitary shovel, rope, water, TP, gloves, flashlight, macthes, flare. It's my sand kit.

I had an 85 toyota that would beat you to death but could go anywhere you wanted in 4wheel low I mean anywhere too.

CrawFish
11-28-2005, 07:52 PM

Some men don't need to be measured by the size of his truck!! ;)
like yourself, unfortunately, a truck is the only big thing you got. :eek: :D

reelrebel18
11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
i just got back and aired down to 20 in my 93 jeep cherokee sport w/ auto and around the point was able to cruise on 2wd because it was so hard packed
always air down
put in 4 lo
have tow strap
shovel
carpet strips etc...
just take it easy and stay in da ruts

fisherkid
11-28-2005, 09:36 PM
But heres an article https://pierandsurf.com/faq/articles/beachdriving.shtml

Cdog
11-28-2005, 09:48 PM

ya know my # ,when ya need a tow :D

I love it when people that have to have others drive for em on th beach are talking chit.... :D

Shooter
11-29-2005, 02:38 AM
When yall get stuck in your little trucks call me and I will come put it in the back of my truck and take ya where ya need to go :D
Always remember there are only 2 types of 4 wheel drive trucks,,, ones that have been stuck and ones that are going to be stuck :(
4 low is easier on the motor and trani
tow strap
shovel
air gauge
flash light
couple of boards
drive in da ruts
and always have a cold beer to offer the guy when ya need pulled
and never forget, driving on the beach does fall under a federal highway with all the rules and laws which inculdes drinking anfd driving *that means dont stack your empities on top of your truck, seen it done* Park ranger wasnt impressed :(