OK Weekend [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : OK Weekend

fisherman
11-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Spent the weekend at OK (Ocracoke) and have tales to tell. On the way down I happened to be in KDH around dusk so I stopped by Avalon pier. No time to grab the rod and suit up so I grabbed the camera and took some photos of the speck hunters huntin' specks. Bite was real good on small fish with some healthy specimines mixed in. At dark it was on to OK. Missed the ferry by one car, which gave me time to slow down to OK time. Hit the south point after dark and the beach was dark (no moon) and dead. Fished until after midnight then crashed. Hit the suds in the AM -nothing- then met Capt. Norman Miller and his party for some drum fishing. This dude is the drum meister in the drum mobile. We were basically surf fishing from a boat, anchored in the impact zone casting into the white water. Pulled several fat yearlings out of the suds then moved on to the secret location where we found a half dozen bulls to 48 inches. WOW. This is required fishing for any drummies. Returned to the beach in the PM - nothing- and crashed. End Day 1
Day 2: While fishing with Capt. Miller I saw a guy and his dog in a Zodiac inflatable boat zipping around the shoals. The party thought he was crazy, Miller had a lot of props for the guys, I was intreagued. They talked over the VHF and the guy was burning up the pups. Day 2 started like Day 1: Dead Surf. I saw the Zodiac guy on the beach and we got to talking. He's one of those guys who are called a lot of things, but his name is Bruce. I was stoked, so excited about getting this opportunity that I was shaking. We loaded a ton of crap, a dozen rods, the dog and my sorry stuff onto the boat and bounced out into the middle of the inlet. Long story short. WOW. Anchored on the shoals and fished in the heart of drumville. Spent most of the day in chest to waist deep water being pummeled by the surf catching fat pups. No epic session by Bruce's standards but we managed a dozen fish (mostly on Bruce's stuff) but what an experience. I've been Baptized a Drumite. Returned to the beach and loaded the boat in time to catch the 6-o'clock ferry back to reality. I love fishing!

Ric

jay b
11-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Great story Ric, it really helps to have and meet friends to put you on the fish. When are you Yak'n next ??

TreednNC
11-07-2005, 07:33 PM
That guy was probably seapuppy.........from the fishtradewinds message board. Never been to Okra. but read the message board. That man has the setup for fishing the bar. He really catches em. Carrys a baseball bat incase sharks nose too close lol. If you get a chance go to fishtradewinds.com and read some of his stories.................Not trying to promote that site sandflea, just givin him a direction to read the man's stories:)

Puppy Mullet
11-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Great report... just saw seapuppys report over on TW.

http://fishtradewinds.com/cgi-bin/twreport.cgi?read=19431

Fishman
11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Perty werk Ric sound like you had a blast. :D

Rick

ScottWood
11-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Ric, I just read seapuppy's report on the tradewinds forum. Figured it was you that hooked up with him.

Sounds like a lot of fun!!

I picked up a yearling and a 42" down there a couple of weeks ago.

/scott

Fishbreath
11-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey Rick, you lucked out indeed. You had the best of both worlds in that you went out with Capt. Norm and then hooked up with Bruce and Warrior (no pun intended). I was supposed to be out with Bruce on Saturday but was bringing my nephew and was held up to the North. Just my luck he had the day of a lifetime that day. Glad you enjoyed it as Seapuppy is a classic! Also glad you didn't see any sharks! :-)

FishBreath

jerseysalt
11-11-2005, 08:42 PM
nice story from seapup.....i knew a guy up here in jerz that would anchor up in the breakers for the striped one....he had 3 bielge pumps....jerz