Ft. Fisher area [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Ft. Fisher area

eb angler
10-25-2005, 10:01 PM
I am thinking of taking a trip to Kure / Ft. Fisher tomorrow. I normally fish Topsail but want to try something new. I have surfed around the fort before and it looks like it could be good around the riprap there. No 4wd for me...on foot. Is it better south of the aquarium or just as good in front of the museum?

Finger_Mullet
10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I would suggest not fishing around the rocks in front of the museum. You will lose a ton of rigs in the rocks. I would go down south of the museum and try the surf. You may have to walk a bit but it should be good fishing. We caught a few flounder on the south end last weekend. Try fishing the last 2 hours of the incoming tide and the first 2 hours of the falling tide. It brought us a few flatties. Also several large whiting, and a hand full of short pomps.

Good luck!!

Mullet

eb angler
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks!

Caught a bunch of blues and 2 flounders both short. Had a big bite on a blue head right before high tide but never saw what it was. Plenty of finger mullet in the surf.

Finger_Mullet
10-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Where did you end up fishing?

Mullet

eb angler
10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
About 700 yards south of the rocks. Great looking setup. Can't wait to get down there again. Topsail has not been as good to me this year and folks keep telling me about big'ens around fisher. Wonder if you would get a shot at a striper from the beach there when the water cools?

Finger_Mullet
10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
You could luck up and catch one but I have never heard of anyone catching many of them in this area. I could be wrong.

I caught a 45 # red drum a few years ago in the area of where you was fishing. I went out on the south end and fished just past the first cross over. I hear there are a lot of large reds caught at that spot every year. That stretch of beach is a pretty good place to fish.

We fished at the 2nd cross over last weekend. That is where we caught the flounder and the whiting. Looks like a good hole to hook up with a big red. There was 8 of us fishing. If I was by myself or with just 1 other person I would have fished at or near the 1st cross over. There is not much room for more than 1 vehicle and let the beach traffic get by. There are some crazy drivers out on the sand.

I am glad you caught a few fish. Good luck on your next trip. I think I am finished until the Spring. Muzzleloading opens up next weekend so I will spend most of my free time sitting in a deer stand.

Mullet!

eb angler
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I will let you know how I do next trip Mullet. Good luck with the deer.